⋆ the first chapter

o. writing help!
( HOW TO WRITE THE FIRST CHAPTER! )

' to help you know
what to write in
your first chapter '

▂▂▂▂▂▂

i. THE MINI ARC

the first chapter tells its own story.

as there are many smaller arcs within the overall arc of any story, so can there be in the first chapter.

on the most basic level, this includes introducing a conflict, having your main character confront the conflict, and either overcome or fail in the moment of highest suspense. it can also involve its own antagonist, or the antagonist for the overarching story.

ii. IN THE ACTION

a hero's opening.

draw the reader into your story by opening with a spot of action involving something your main character would typically do.

are they a tomb raider? open with them raiding a random (or not so random) tomb.

are they a getaway driver? open with them driving away from a crime.

are they pirate? open with them boarding another ship.

are they a martial artist? open with them in the ring.

this works quite well when your main character is already a fairly interesting person, who knows most of the skills they'll need to tackle the book's main plot. if your character is an average nobody, you may be better off using the next method.

iii. THE INCITING EVENT

an intriguing question.

another way to draw your reader into the story is to present them with a mystery or a question.

get the plot rolling in the first chapter, and make the reader curious about where it's going, what will happen along the way, and how it will all work out.

send your main character on their quest for the ancient weapon. let the antagonist kidnap them.

make them confront the viral outbreak turning people to zombies. let them know their long lost relative is looking for them.

✧◦﹆

NO MATTER how you decide to start your story, every first chapter needs to touch on a few specific things!

– SETTING
when and where does your story take place?

it's just as easy to go overboard on your setting as it is to under establish it. the point is not to give the entire background of your world, country, community, or neighborhood, but to immerse the reader into that setting.

a good method is to stick to information and descriptions of the things the main character is experiencing in that moment. set your first chapter in a place where the main character comes into direct contact with things and people important to your setting and story.