⋆ do's and don'ts of writing

o. writing help!
( DO'S AND DON'TS OF WRITING! )

' to give you advice
   on writing the rest
    of     your      story '

▂▂▂▂▂▂

DON'T !!

DON'T USE BIG WORDS. when i say big words, i mean BIG WORDS.  i love words like tarantism, anabiosis, and atrous, but i would never use them when i write. first of all, not everybody knows what these words mean.  second, most people are too lazy to look them up.  third, they don't have a nice flow.  if the words don't flow they don't sound nice. so the lesson is if your computer underlines it in red, don't use it.

TRY NOT TO MAKE THE PLOT TOO COMPLICATED. if you have a hard time understanding it and making it fit into the plot, just don't do it.  plot twists are fun but they need to make sense to the audience.  be wary of what you do.

DON'T INSULT ANYONE. don't describe skin color with food (and if you do describe skin color, make sure you describe caucasians too). don't do anything that would insult the LGBT community. this means fetishizing and stereotyping (in fact this goes for all people). and don't generalize or misinterpret any mental disorder. the best thing you can do is talk to somebody about what they would consider insulting and have them review your work. (if you are working with a fictional society that is supposed to be super insulting you can break this rule, but still tread lightly.)

DON'T OVERLY DESCRIBE FOOD. it's really unnecessary. unless is a food that is extremely unique to your character/audience just let it be. lots of people know what a hamburger tastes like. 

DON'T DESCRIBE CLOTHES.  if it's important, like how wizards wear robes or shadowhunters wear black, then describe it in less than two sentences.  the audience really doesn't care what they wear and can normally figure it out for themselves.

DO !!

REFERENCE FAMOUS WORKS. it makes both you and the character seem smart/cultural. for example, the fault in our stars is a great reference to the tragedy of julius caesar and how they were star crossed lovers but destined to lose each other blah blah... or the infernal devices and how tessa and will are constantly comparing themselves to characters from a tale of two cities.

KEEP A NOTEBOOK. sometimes it helps with writers' block, other times it keeps you entertained. it holds notes, drawings, lists, ideas, everything. i don't go anywhere without mine.

USE MOVIE SCIENCE. i am going to go further in depth because this is important and i love it.  movie science is the idea of: if today's science can't disprove it, it is 100% plausible.  for example: the hulk is made by a series of chemicals injected into the body.  since nobody knows what chemicals those are, creating a hulk is completely plausible.

KEEP THE PLOT MOVING. have one thing come after another as quickly as possible. if the audience gets bored they might stop reading. as long as the action is increasing, somebody is bound to keep reading.

LET CHARACTERS GROW.  you as a person are always changing and being affected by your surroundings.  by the time your book is done, your character should have changed in some way.  maybe they are better person or ever a worse one.  everybody changes over time.

a note.

andrew lincoln is leaving
twd and it still hasn't hit
me yet. i'm sorry but i won't
be watching the show after
season 9. twd it's been good.

hate on me all you want
but rick grimes is og. i
have a lot to say but i'll
just leave you with
this:

 i have a lot to say but i'll just leave you withthis: