CHPT1: Five Long Years

Jason's POV:

It was the fifth anniversary of the defeat of Gaia. Piper and I had come back to Camp Half-Blood for the celebrations. This was the party of the year for Greeks and Romans alike, but for me it was the saddest day of the year. It marked the day I lost my best friend, Leo Valdez. No one had seen hide or hair of him since five years ago when he sacrificed himself to defeat Gaia. Fate, though in the past five years, had not been unkind. Two years ago Piper had agreed to marry me, two years before that I had been promoted to Pontifex Maximus in New Rome, and all the shrines and cabins for the gods had been completed a little under a year ago. Percy and Annabeth had also been married a little before Piper and I. They currently lived happily in New Rome, having Graduated college and were building a life for themselves. Frank and Hazel are engaged, and Nico and Will are dating with no real plan for the future, just living it day by day. I couldn't complain though, Nico was finally happy. All of us are gathering at Camp Half-Blood for the anniversary. The remaining seven plus Nico, Will, and Reyna, had congregated in the big house to catch-up and trade exciting stories of old adventures, new adventures, an plans for the future. Perhaps this day wouldn't be so bad after all.

There was a banquet in honor of the lives lost in the defeat of Gaia, a special camp fire sing along organized by the Apollo campers, and a fireworks display made by the Hephaestus Campers depicting our quest to stop Gaia. I almost couldn't hold back tears as the Apollo campers told our story, especially the parts with Leo. They stung like a fresh wound that wouldn't close. At the end when Leo sacrificed himself, I found myself crying. And looking around at the others, I found tears pouring down their checks too. Even Nico was misty eyed. Once back at Zeus cabin I pulled out an old photo of Leo from the summer he built the Argo. Crazy smile, curly hair, suspenders, covered in grease, my best friend smiled up at me, wrench in hand.

"Jason," Piper laid her hand on my shoulder. "I miss him too."

Together we stayed like that staring at our friend's face. Thinking of what happened and could have been. Remembering the last time we saw him, wreathed in fire.

The next day the seven agreed to go on a day out in New York. We visited Boutiques and coffee shops, all was going well until Percy spotted Calypso. We were at a burger joint grabbing lunch when Percy suddenly stopped scarfing down his food.

"Calypso?" He mumbled, eyes fixed on a point across the street.

"Percy?" Annabeth questioned.

"Over there," Percy pointed as he got up and stumbled towards the street. After almost being run over twice, we finally made it across. Percy cautiously approached a brunette in jeans and a white blouse, "Calypso, is that really you?"

The brunette turned around and a giant smile illuminated her face, "Percy!" She threw her arms around his neck in a tight hug before she addressed him straight on, "Percy, it's been so long, how are you?"

"Forget me," Percy said. "Calypso, How'd you get off your island? Did Leo come get you?"

She grimaced, "Yes he did, but immediately after he began forgetting things."

"Forgetting things?" Piper pressed. "Like what?"

"Well everything," Calypso raised her hands helplessly. "At first it was small things like what we had done the day before or what I had just told him, but eventually it became bigger things like wherever we were and childhood memories, his age, his friends, me , and even his own name."

"Why didn't you try to find us!" Annabeth exclaimed. "We might have been able to help."

"I couldn't convince him," Calypso explained. "Leo wanted to escape fate and no longer play hero for the gods. He was through. That was the one thing he never forgot."