CHPT10: Lost & Found

Leo's POV:

"So they found me?"

She sat in front of me staring into my soul in an empty, dark void.

"Typical, heroes. Always sticking their noses where they shouldn't, don't you agree?" She continued.

"Sometimes they help people," I shrugged.

"Oh indeed. They did a marvelous job of helping at Ba Sing Se," She said sarcastically. "We were doing fine without them."

"What about Ba Sing Se?"

"Ironic that I can only see when you sleep," She grumbled. "The city fell thanks to your Demigod friends. Tell them hi from me when you wake."

"I will," At first when she appeared in my dreams, I loathed her without knowing why. Now I know. The fog has lifted and I clearly remember everything. A cruel twist that we are now stuck together. Although honestly I don't think I could live without her any more. We've been fused so long and now we are one. Strange. I never thought I'd live the proverb "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" so exactly.

Slowly I began to rise from the void. My eyes fluttered open and I felt wind. Was I on Festus? As my vision cleared I saw I was.

"Piper!"

Jason?

"SLEEP!"

Nothing again.

"They really don't trust us?" She asked.

"Seems not," I sighed. This was going to be a rough time.

Piper's POV:

I clung to Leo's waist as Festus flew us back to the mountains. It had taken a lot of persuasion and some charm speak to convince the bronze dragon to leave the city. He was unsure because Leo was not conscious and it looked like we were kidnapping him. Which we were, but it was for a good cause. The mortals were in more danger with Leo on the field than they were if he was gone. This wasn't our fight any ways. They could fight their own wars without demigod intervention. As bad as I felt tearing Leo away, I knew it was for the best. After all, he'd been killing people out there, the mortals we were supposed to be divided from. We weren't to intervene in their world. It had to be Gaia! There was no other explanation, Leo wouldn't kill people on purpose!

Finally we reached the mountains and found a cave to hide in. Every ten or so minutes Leo would half wake and I would put him back to sleep. It would be temporary until we figured out a way to get Gaia out of Leo. It was our only hope.

"Maybe Piper can get rid of her like she did the eidolons," Jason suggested.

"But those were dead spirits," Annabeth argued. "This is a primordial goddess that she can only barely control. There's no way she can force Gaia out with only charm speak."

"We've gotta try something!" Jason yelled. "She's in there with Leo! He's all alone with her, I can't imagine what that must be like!"

"I know Jason," Annabeth sighed. "We all want what's best for Leo, but we have to be realistic about this. Piper is barely keeping Leo asleep ten minutes and that is shortening each time he wakes. It won't be long before he figures out how to free himself from Piper or the charm speak just stops working on him. Piper doesn't have the power for this kind of job."

"So... who does?" Percy asked.

"Maybe her mother?" Nico asked tentatively.

"Aphrodite might," I agreed reluctantly. "Is there anyone else who could beat a primordial? I love my mother, truly, but I'm not sure she has the juice."