CHPT9: The Monster's Return

Leo's POV:

It was windy on top of the wall. My hair whipped around me as the sky darkened slightly with scattered clouds that blocked out the sun. After I'd told everything to team avatar we decided to rest before the battle. My A.D.H.D. was getting the better of me as I tapped my finger restlessly against my thigh, praying for this to be over quickly. Battle like this set me on edge. Unlike with monsters who would reform in Tartarus, these were real people with really blood flowing through their veins and we were going to have to, well... To say I didn't like the prospect was an understatement. The citizens had finished being evacuated and Woo was with them so I was less worried. Meeting the special operations Dai Li had been intimidating. They'd all been big husky benders who were proficient and merciless towards anyone who meant the Prince harm. I had mock punched him on the shoulder before they left and I thought the Dai Li guys were going to murder me. Woo will be just fine, he's in good hands. That was one less worry for the battle. As endearing as the energetic monarch was, I really wouldn't be able to concentrate if he was on my six and I had to play keep away with an entire army. At long last we could see the Metal Dynasty war balloons coming from the direct south. Their army marched directly below the airships and my stomach dropped. This was war, I reminded myself, everyone of those benders and non-benders had chosen to be here. It reminded me of Keto. Distantly I wondered if he was in that sea of soldiers somewhere and if I was about to kill him. I raised my arms. The feeling of the metal that made the airships rushed into my body. They were mine.

The first twelve airships groaned violently as I slowly crushed them above the now scattering first couple regiments directly under the ships affected by my bending. People jumped from the mega structures as I slowly squeezed them into hunks of scrape. Then I released the ships I was holding and let them crash to the ground below. My body felt constricted with so much power flowing through me. Like a tight rope or vine had wrapped itself around my chest. The temptation to just let go and loose control was almost over whelming, but I controlled myself. This battle was going to be long and I couldn't afford to let go yet.

Through the stone of the wall I could feel the ground below and the marching boots on it. I could feel the heart beats of every person who marched towards the city. I closed my eyes for I no longer needed them to see. My eyes were now the ground and the rocks, grass and trees. The whole of nature could see for me, I didn't need eyes. I could feel the giant behemoths of titanium hovering above the ground, aching to be reunited with their place of origin. The army was rearranging itself so none of the soldiers were under the airships, smart. Yet not smart enough. I pulled their machines of war from the sky and turned their tanks, making the ground beneath their feet fluid. They sunk into the ground up to their elbows and they could no longer bend. Suddenly I felt a streak of heat race along the ground for our troops. It was the lava benders. Not on my watch! I turned the ground on them and threw their lava back at them. They dodged and sent it back except this time they were aiming directly for me. I didn't falter, it hardly mattered if the lava hit me or not. I am immune. Vaguely I could feel my body move forward towards the edge of the wall. I wasn't afraid of falling. The ground rose to encase me. I was safe and secure. The lava benders tried again to burn me. Fine , if they wish to play with fire, two can play at that game. The last of my self control released and from my outstretched hands fire leaped in massive waves and torrents raining down on the unsuspecting Metal Dynasty troops. Metal benders and earth benders, they'd come prepared for. Me? They never could have predicted. The field roiled and burned. The Ba Sing Se troops hadn't even had to bend a pebble as I tore Airship after air ship from the sky,  rolled tank after tank, and snuffed out heart beat after heart beat.

"Leo!"

My eyes snapped open to find Jason, Piper, Hazel, Frank, Annabeth, Percy, and Nico floating on the wind in front of me. They had tears in their eyes, filled with...hate? Why are you all looking at me like that? What's wrong? Our people are okay, but there are more soldiers coming I can hear their foot steps. You all need to move.