CHPT6: Battle of Zao Fu

Mako's POV:

Through the throng of battle readied benders I ran for the prince's sleeping quarters. When I arrived I found he wasn't there. Typical. I continued running, this time towards the command center of Zao Fu. I was hesitant to leave Leo but I couldn't very well change his mind. He's too stubborn. Plus he found his friends. They know him better than I do. He also might leave with them I suppose. Strangely I felt slightly sad at the thought of the unique mechanic leaving us. Well I guess not me specifically, more like Korra and Asami. It still lowered my mood. Finally I reached the double doors of the command center hall. The guards let me through with a wave. Gathered around a diorama of the city and surrounding area, Korra, Asami, Woo, Bolin, Tensen, Suyin, and a bunch of other benders I didn't know stood planning for the attack.

"Mako!" Asami turned at my entrance. "Where's Leo?"

"With his friends," I answered, a touch of bitterness creeping into my voice.

"Friends?" Korra asked in surprise.

"Yeah," I joined them at the diorama. "They were with Janora and Milo, seven of them. They are people from his past. He recognized them rather quickly. Even I recognized Frank."

"Seriously!" Korra half yelled.

"Definately," I grumble. "What's going on here?"

"Wait," Tensen stopped us. "Leo Valdez is Jason and his friend's missing person?"

"Apparently," I shrugged. "Why?"

"They said their friend was I fire bender," Tensen scrunched his eyebrows together in thought. "Are you sure Leo recognized them?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "He recognized most of them himself."

"But that would mean Leo can bend two elements," Tensen frowned. "At least if Jason and his people were telling the truth."

"That's not possible is it?" Bolin asked.

"It is not," Tensen's frown deepened.

"It is baffling, but we need to focus," Suyin interrupted. "Zao Fu is under attack. Metal Dynasty is arriving now. The air benders are going to take the air and metal benders will take the ground. Try to keep them in the valley between the mountains directly west of the city. We still have a couple days before the Republic City troops arrive so we'd better have something left for them to protect when they arrive."

"We've got Leo and Festus too," I added. "He wouldn't listen to me and rest, but his friends are with him and if their abilities are half as impressive his we are going to be fine."

"Leo is fighting!" Korra yelped.

"Couldn't stop him if I tried," I shrugged helplessly. "You know how he is."

"I sure do," Korra half growled. "Mako are you fighting?"

"I'm staying with Woo," I half grinned. "Instructed to by Leo, he wants us to make sure the hope for the republic survives the battle."

"Good plan," Suyin agreed. "I still need to formally meet this metal bender. he is quite impressive even from a distance."

"Agreed but he's still stubborn and foolish for going out to fight so soon after the ordeal with that damn highway in the sky!" Korra stormed towards the door, her girlfriend right behind her.

"We must be going as well," Tensen agreed. "Keep the prince safe, Mako, Bolin."

"Count on us," I nodded my goodbye.

"We will, sir!" Bolin agreed with a salute.

Once they left, Bolin and I shepherded Woo deeper into the city and further underground. The echoes of the battle could be heard from above as we took our charge to safety. I silently prayed for the safety of my friends as we went, hurried and silent. Wordlessly we found sleeping quarters below ground with the help of a Zao Fu guard. Booms and crashes seemed to ring through the walls as we waited. We'd know soon enough if the battle was won or lost.