CHPT18: Through the Back

Leo's POV:

I wasn't feeling too good. That jump through the earth had been brutal. Now I understand what Nico meant by "too many people" for the shadow travel thing. Sleeping on Festus had been comforting though. The heat radiating off his scales had melted me to his back. Every once in a while I could feel Mako straighten my body from behind. He seemed concerned I'd fall and in more ways than just sleeping. I felt a bit bad about not telling him about Frank. The others hadn't seemed as put off by the whole I-left-our-shape-shifting-friend-behind-to-protect-the-prince-sorry-for-not-telling-you thing. Mako, as I understood from Korra, had been with Woo as his body guard for longer than Bolin had and was in some ways "Overly protective", her words not mine. Honestly I thought it was sweet that Mako cared so much. There were worse things to be than caring and overly protective. A traitor is one, power hungry monarch for another, people who talk during movies... that's not as bad as the other two, but still awful! Any way, Mako has his good moments and bad, just like me. I should have trusted him I guess. That or have less complicated plans. Eh, not likely. As I drifted further asleep, my dreams became normal demigod dreams, opposed to Gaia filled dreams. When I'm not on the ground this happens. I was with Frank and Woo looking over the city. Woo was pointing at something, but it shifted faster than I could look to see what was bothering the prince. Suddenly I was watching Hazel and Piper tying up some Metal Dynasty troops. I'd have to remember to IM them or something when we landed. I wonder if that even works here. Then I was back in Ba Sing Se watching a beat up looking Wian getting ready to board an air ship. Where is he going? Republic City? Evil bad guy super sneaky  secret mission that wouldn't be good for us in the long run? Who knows? I don't as the scene shifted again. This time I was looking at that Wun guy. He sat in a stone room with several people kneeling before him. They seemed to be... Begging? Like they'd done something horrible and were now being punished. The guy in front looked up from his grovelling and I realized it was Yu Hui, the head of the Dai Li. Guess he is working with Wun after all. Suddenly a door burst open and Woo's special ops guards came in, but something wasn't right. The older guards were restraining the younger guards. The older guards forced the younger guards onto their knees. One of the young men shouted at Wun. I couldn't hear him, but judging by his facial expression it hadn't been anything complimentary. Wun's eyes were cold and scathing. He said something short and by the looks of it rather damning for the young guards as they yelled and by the looks of it swore the whole time they were dragged from the room. Trouble in Dai Li paradise? I wouldn't find out as the images faded and I woke up sitting on Festus. The others were sitting either chatting, watching the view, or making out much to the disgust of the person sitting behind them. Guess it was time to fill them in on the doom and gloom, I'd witnessed.

General Iroh's POV:

It was quiet. Way too quiet. Even Kuvera had made more noise when her forces arrived than there was right now. There weren't any reports about troop mobilization from Ba Sing Se, but I had a funny feeling that they were coming. Call it a hunch, but I was sure Wun was up to something. I'd had the displeasure of meeting the wannabe king in person once. He called me a lesser man of greater sires then called me a "commoner prince" for the rest of the evening. Despite being reminded that the Fire Nation no longer has an emperor, Wun continued to behave as though it were the era of kings and emperors, like we had all the power of our nations still in our hands instead of the democratic system that was currently installed. When I heard about Wun's rebellion, I was hardly shocked. I'd almost expected such a move from a petty man, although the large amount of support he found did shock me some. I watched the mountains to the north through my binoculars from my command tent on the front defensive lines as Tensen swooped down to meet me.

"War blimps are approaching down the valley," Tensen informed me as we landed. "Several dozen of them and they're accompanied by airplanes."

"Can your air benders handle the planes?" I asked, drawing up plans in my head as the new information settled in.

"We certainly can," Tensen said proudly and he took off without speaking further.

"Officers!" I yelled to my men. "War blimps from the valley are headed our way the air benders are handling the planes. The blimps are ours. Take our left flank and our right flank and make a curved front line. Tell your people to focus their fire on the engines. Take down as many blimps as you can before they reach the city. Dismissed!"

The officers ran off to do as instructed while I turned back to my war room. I had some strategies to workout before they arrived. Then I'd join my men out on the front to do my part in the battle.

Woo's POV:

As Frank and I flew closer to the outskirts of the city We saw the wreckage of an air battle and many wounded soldiers being tended to on the field. All the soldiers were on the field stretching out towards the mountains and none of them were paying attention to the city. On Wun's part, it was actually a good plan. Distract your enemy with a battle they can easily win while you sneak in the back with your main forces. At this rate the Republic City army didn't stand a chance. We flew down towards the front lines where I could see a battle worn General Iroh come to greet us.

"Your majesty," He said helping me from Frank's back. "I never expected to see you come down here on a dragon no less."

"We don't have time for pleasantries," I said urgently. "You've been trick general. Frank and I saw it from above the city. Wun is bringing his men in through the tunnels."

"How-"

"The Dai Li betrayed us," I cut him off. "If it wasn't for Frank here," I indicated the dragon Frank now returning to human form much to the amazement of all those present. "I would already be in Wun's hands."

"I understand," Iroh said grimly. "Officers!" A bunch of army officers assembled before Iroh as he gave instructions, occasionally turning to me for aid in figuring out where the breach was. The Officers seemed to pale some as they were informed that all Dai Li were not to be trusted since we didn't know how bad the corruption went. As the Officers were dismissed to carry out their orders Iroh turned back to me and Frank. I was feeling confident, Iroh had a good plan, but the expression on the general's face told me I wouldn't get to see it unfold. "Our top priority, next to securing the city, is keeping you out of Wun's hands."

"Again," I sighed, this was getting old...

"Frank," Iroh turned back to the shape shifting man. "Can I entrust the safety of the king to you?"

"Of course," Frank nodded.

"You have my full cooperation," Iroh bowed formally. "Anything you need, name it."

"Do you know any one who owns a boat?"