CHPT16: Underground

Woo's POV:

It feels tense down here! I sit surrounded by my guards in a cozy little room that was bended into Leo's bunkers under Republic City waiting for something (anything!) to happen. Twenty guards plus myself makes for a tight squeeze in the cramped space and honestly I was getting claustrophobic. We had been closed down here for several hours now and I was aching to hear news from the surface.

"Can I sneak out for a second-" I tried to say before I was cut off by a gruff, no. Yu Hui had ordered his men to keep me safe at all costs. I was the really important according to him. If I wasn't safe then neither was the nation... his words not mine.

"Come on Daikan," One of the younger Dai Li guys pleaded. "We're all stiff and tired of sitting here, let's go stretch our legs. Your highness if you'd follow me."

"Kudon, what are you doing?" Daikan snapped. "Our orders-"

"-Are to protect the king, I know," Kudon shrugged. "But what good are we as bodyguards if when we stand up to fight, we're all left feet because our legs are asleep? We can protect the king just as well wondering around as we can tucked in a little cramped room."

"Prince actually," I corrected as we left our cell of a room. "I don't consider myself king yet."

"Why?" Kudon asked in surprise.

"I will call myself king only once the republic is formed and I am but a symbol of the past," I say defiantly.

"Honorable of you," Kudon smiled. "I like this Republic idea, sounds nice."

"Hold your opinions," Daikan ordered. "You are still talking to a king, Kudon."

"No please," I implored. "I'd love to hear what you have to say. Did you all work for my aunt before she passed?"

"Some of us," Kudon motioned towards Daikan and the older cluster of my guards. "But I didn't. I joined during Kuvera's reign. Wasn't particularly fond of that woman, seemed rather stuck up, and at first I wasn't to sure about you either."

"I don't blame you for that," I laughed a little. "I started out rather... childishly."

"That's for sure!" Kudon and the younger guards laughed. "The first time I saw you hiding behind Mako I thought "Oh great another terrible ruler!" But now you've gotten on the Republic train and I've spent some time around you, I'm thinking you might make an amazing king."

"Thank you," I smile at the compliment. "That means a lot."

We spent a good long while circling the crowds, seeing if anyone needed anything, helping children find their way back to parents, and so on. Daikan seemed to think it was a waste of time, but Kudon and many of the others seemed to enjoy it. I had just finished talking with an old woman who was a passionate gardener when we heard the first of the explosions. The ground shook and there were some screams.

"Is everyone alright?" I called. "Did anything collapse?"

"Your majesty," Daikan stopped me. "We need to get you to safety."

"My people need me," I pulled away. "Besides, I'm just as safe out here as in there as long as the bunkers are sealed. If the bunkers get breached I will let you haul me off to that tiny room, but until then I'm staying out here and helping!"

Leo's POV:

I sat listening to Gaia babble about the goings on around me. There wasn't anything else to do. Annabeth freed us and went back into the Dai Li base. Festus escaped capture from where we'd left him. Nico had shadow traveled to the wall after the guards thought they knocked him out. He found Percy and Jason, now all three of them were hiding in the city.