CHPT12: Wonderland

Leo's POV:

Iroh sat quietly for a moment after I finished explaining the issue with Ba Sing Se and the rest of the Seven kidnapping me and how I wanted to reconquer the city. This Iroh fellow has a spectacular poker face. That made me nervous, which made me rush and get flustered. He did catch me and Mako in an... interesting position. Mako also seemed flustered, but I expected that. Iroh stared at his tea for a moment then looked up.

"Your friends must truly love you to travel from a different world to come find you and bring you home safely," He smiled kindly. "I can understand how this might be conflicting for you seeing as their actions were rather damaging to your efforts to help Ba Sing Se."

"Yeah, I guess," I shrugged, trying to ignore the crushing pressure welling in my chest. "But what I really want to know is how to reconquer Ba Sing Se."

"That is a hard thing to accomplish," Iroh nodded. "I tried twice and only succeeded once. With a battle ready mind it is possible to take back Ba Sing Se. You, Leo, do not have a battle ready mind. You are torn, between your friends and yourself. You will not be able to win this fight without resolving this conflict in your heart first. Then I believe you can do anything, even free Ba Sing Se."

"But Ba Sing Se-"

"Is evacuated, yes?" Iroh stood. "Then the people are safe and that is what matters. Your power is not in doubt Leo Valdez. The people of Ba Sing Se can wait in Republic City for a while longer. You need to heal your heart."

I considered his words for a moment. I am powerful thanks to this combined strength Gaia and I now share. This is what my friends fear, us becoming her. But we aren't her just as much as we aren't me anymore. We are a constant in each others' minds and that is not about to change. I'm alright with that, but I still have to prove that to my friends. I need to show them we are not homicidal maniacs on a rampage to conquer the mortal world. We are co-existing peacefully with this world's natives and we don't plan to cause trouble. If we can we'd like to help them. It's a work in progress.

"Thank you," I smiled at the old General. "That helped, I think I know what to do."

"Good," Iroh smiled warmly. "Now you must be going, the human world needs you. Both of you."

Mako and I stood, bowing slightly and began towards the portal in the distance. Iroh and his spirits wave goodbye to us before returning to the forest.

"So what are you going to do?" Mako asked me quietly.

"Show my friends I'm not a homicidal maniac," I responded curtly.

"How?" Mako pressed.

"I'm not sure yet," I paused. "But Gaia used to send us nightmares and other gods could send us dreams so maybe I'll do something like that."

"Have you ever done that before?"

"No, not really."

Asami's POV:

Leo and Mako have been gone for a while now. I'm worried. We all are. Korra keeps looking around to see if she can spot them. Bolin and Woo too. We've been helping out with moving the refugees into the underground bunkers Leo made. It is hard to believe he has a goddess inhabiting his body, but it could explain why his friends were so freaked out when he used his full strength. I know that Leo is good and no matter what kind of deity lives in my friend I will stick with him. That's what friends are for; helping each other through the hard times and the good times. We won't abandon him. Even if the whole world turns their back, we won't. We can't.