Chapter 7

"What I think of you now? Why does that matter?" You ask.

"I just want to know. To see where we stand especially when our time together is diminishing."

"We are acquaintances. I won't say friends because I doubt we will ever see each other again."

"What makes you say that?" You laugh at him and when you see his serious expression you stop.

"You don't get it do you? You are going to be Duke who is going to marry another woman soon. I am going to join The Order. I provide no benefit for you. In looks and power. Why would you want me around?"

"What if I want to be friends with you?"

"Then perhaps you can visit me whenever. I won't visit you though because-" Vishnal begins mumbling things. "Vishnal?"

"Am I really that insignificant to you!?" Vishnal shouts before storming out of the room. As he briskly walks to his room the sinking feeling in his chest becomes heavier. Here he was hurting about the separation and you weren't fazed at all. It wasn't fair. When he enters his room he slams the door shut and leans on it, slowly sinking to the floor. Your apathy wasn't much of a surprise given your upbringing but he still felt sad.

He saw how you interacted with Saintess Clare. You smiled like you were genuinely happy. It hurt. Why couldn't you smile for him. As for you, you were quite shocked by his outburst. You thought he would be happy knowing you two would no longer have any business with each other. You shrugged your shoulders and started thinking about what to do once you joined The Order.

The five days passed by quickly for you. Vishnal though was left alone with his thoughts. He hadn't talked to you during the time period. Those five days gave him to time to figure out his feelings. Your parents had arrived and you were standing in a corner where Vishnal, his parents and your were discussing things.

"As promised. The bride price refunded." Your father says handing an envelope to Duke Evans. Duchess Evans than puts the divorce papers on the table.

"My husband and I already signed the witnesses portion. All that is left is for your daughter and our son to sign." Your father looks at you and you walk forward to sign the paper. When you finish signing it, you give the pen to Vishnal. He looks at you before take the pen.

Vishnal picks up the paper. He looks at the signatures and looks at the portion missing his signature. He puts the pen down and rips the papers in half.

"Vishnal!" his mother shouts. "What on earth are you doing?" He says nothing and continues to stare at the ripped papers. The silence is overbearing and you finally decide to speak.

"Vishnal?" he looks at you. "Why did you rip it? I thought you wanted to be divorced."

"Ar first F/n." he smiles at you. It wasn't one of hidden intentions or mockery. It was a kind smile. "During the course of the month, I learned a lot more about you. You call yourself ugly but you are pretty where it matters. Like I said when we were at The Order. I am glad to have been married to you." 

When Vishnal says The Order, you think back to your plans. You couldn't join officially if you were married. 

"Vishnal. I needed you to sign those papers. I can't join The Order otherwise." You turn to face Duchess Evans. "Do you have another one by any chance."

"I do. In case we happen to lose the other one." she spits out. She is about to call a servant when Vishnal stands up abruptly.

"There will be no divorce. Marquis L/n can keep the money since I am keeping my bride." Before anyone can protest, he grabs your hand and walks out of the room.