Chapter 11

Clare reads the letter and was surprised by the events written. Her caretaker notices the change in her expression.

"Is there a problem Saintess Clare?" she turns to face her caretaker.

"Is it possible to have a divorce if one party no longer wants to be married?"

"It depends. Is one of the parties abusive or infidel?"

"Neither."

"I don't recall there ever being an issue like that." Clare nods and the gets up.

"Take me to the high priest. I want to talk to him about this."

"If I may ask, can I see the content of the letter?" Clare hands him the letter and the caretaker is also surprised. Soon they go to talk to the high priest.

You had eaten a light lunch way later than everyone else. You wanted to stay far away from Vishnal and his parents until you heard from Clare. You found peace in the library as it was one of the few place where no one bothered you. You stayed there until it was dinner. You had once again sneaked into the kitchen. You had befriended one of the cooks since coming here as you usually ate in the kitchen.

"Hello Miss F/n." the cook says warmly. You give a small smile and sit at a chair nearby. "I made something simple." she says handing you a plate with food.

"Thank you." you reply as you eat. As you were eating and chatting with the cook, Vishnal comes in.

"So this is where my dear wife likes to eat I see." he says as he makes his way to you. Your smile fades and the cook becomes stock straight. Vishnal faces the cook. "If you are making meals for F/n, have a plate for me as well and inform a servant to come get me." You were going to protest but stopped. Vishnal was their employer, not you. His words were law.

"The one thing I actually enjoyed and you decided to screw that over as well."

"I am not trying to offend you. I just want you to spend time with me." The cook gives Vishnal a plate and you eat in silence. Duchess and Duke Evans watch the two of you with disapproving looks.

"How could she have Vishnal wrapped around her fingers? That vixen. She must of done something to him." Duchess Evans spits out upset. 

"Threatening Vishnal with disownment doesn't work on him. Besides that will lead to much more problems for us." Duke Evans replies.

"Then we get rid of the girl." Duke Evans turns to his wife shocked.

"You aren't suggesting..." Murdering and attempted murder was a severe crime. The accused spends almost a life time in prison with all their titles and wealth stripped from them.

"Don't be stupid. Not yet. Right now, everyone else believes that Vishnal pities her. We just need to host a few parties and introduce a few good women to him. If he finds one suitable, he gets divorced and the girl is no longer a problem to us."

"And if he doesn't."

"An accident shall occur. One taking that wretch's life."

When you finished dinner, Vishnal and you went to your now shared bedroom. You were still upset about the arrangements. You turn to Vishnal at the doorway.

"To make things clear." you begin. "We are only sharing the bed. We only sleep on the bed. Nothing more."

"I understand my dear. I won't force you more than this." you go inside. Vishnal's room was bigger than you thought. The two of you get into bed. You try sleeping but the Vishnal wraps his arm around your waist. "What are you doing?"

"hugging you."

"Stop."

"No."

"Why?"

"Because you are my wife and I believe you can at least spare me a hug." you wriggle in his grasps but he only hold tighter. You soon give up and force yourself to sleep.

Clare and the high priest discuss you marriage predicament. 

"It really is strange." the high priest says. "There have been cases where people divorced because they are no longer happy in the marriage. But that was after at least a year. F/n was married for a little over a month."

"Can we approve of it?" Clare asks.

"I will need to talk to others about it, but even so, at best they are going to need to be married for at least a year in order for her to have a higher chance of divorce."

"So she will have to wait a year?"

"Most likely unless the second party signs the paper."

"I will inform her then about her options." Clare leaves the high priest. You were stuck in less then ideal situation but perhaps things could go in you favor later.