Chapter 1: Efemer

I could feel myself relax, I took in a deep breath and felt my shoulders drop. The moment my fingers let go of the pencil I was so violently holding and my hands handed over the exam in which laid the faith of my semester a feeling of freedom invaded my body. I stepped out of the classroom and gave anyone who was looking a smile. As my feet guided me over to the parking lot towards my car I could hear someone behind me, I stopped myself and looked back. My eyes met a pair of deep brown ones and I ran in their direction in pure ecstasy.

"Len!" She shouted as she approached me. 

"Cami." I said back as I finally reached her. "How did you do?" 

The brown eyes closed shut and Cami's expression was a mix of worry and amusement. "Can we please not talk about the exam Len? We're finally off for the summer." She exclaimed holding on to each of my arms as if to shake me to reason. 

"I'm sorry but you know I can't relax until I have the result in my hands, or my email account." A laugh escaped my lips and Cami rolled her eyes at me but a smile still played on her mouth. "I know you hate talking test results but please humor me." I pleaded. 

Cami put her hands up in a sign of surrender. "Okay I failed, I literally know nothing about criminal law. Like how can he asks us about embezzlement? We didn't even see that this semester." 

"We did Cami." I replied dryly.

Her eyes became wide open and she began playing with her ash blond hair nervously. "We did?" Her voice was but a peep.

"Yeah, but I think that was the week you decided to bail on lectures." Her expression dropped and my heart couldn't take it any more. "Cam I'm kidding, we didn't see that and I agree Professor Munteanu was a dick on that final." 

"Ilena Lupescu don't you ever do that to me again!" She screamed and swatted my arm. 

"Cami chill. Besides embezzlement was only one question." I responded as we both made our way across the parking lot. 

"I totally failed." She said again. This time getting on my nerves.

"You know what? I think we can quit talking about that final now." I let out a sight and stared at her only to see she was grinning. "You did this on purpose didn't you?" This time she chuckled. 

"I did." She replied happily. "I just needed you to shut up about university for two seconds."

"Did you now?" I asked raising an eyebrow. "What for?"

"Len it's the end of the semester, we're finally free and some of us were planing on going out." Cami answered with bright eyes. "I was hoping you'd join us." 

"Who's going?" I asked. This time more cutting. 

"Well Irina, Constantin, Victoria, Isabella and you know most of the class." I could feel she was leaving someone out and if there was something I hated were lies. 

"Cami who else is going?" I starred at her with such intensity she had to look away. "Luca is going isn't he?" I tried again and still no answer. But I didn't need one, the fact she remained quiet was explanation enough. "I can't go." I said.

"Lennie please you have to." Her eyes begged me to go and so did her voice.

"She has a tongue." The sarcasm in my voice was blatantly obvious. 

"Don't be like that." Cami seemed hurt and I knew it was a dumb reason to get mad at her but I was too proud to apologize. "Okay then don't go. But just in case you decide to change your mind we're meeting at Nomad for drinks at around nine." 

I didn't reply and got in my car as if she wasn't there. How dare she invite me knowing Luca was going? She's being a good friend a voice inside me said, I hated to admit it was right. But the thought of Luca with his hazel eyes and snarky smile made my blood boil. It had been around Christmas last year that we'd started dating. He was everything my father approved of; he was a soccer player, he was studying law like me and his father and mine worked together in the Minister of Defense so we'd known each other since forever. But we were together for a few months. I wasn't the kind of girl to be bossed around and I didn't have time for his jealousy outbursts so I broke things off and he'd been trying to make my life imposible since. So seeing him this summer was the last thing I wanted. 

My house was located in the outskirts of Bucharest and with the traffic at this hour the commute took longer than usual. It didn't bother me though. Driving was one of the things I enjoyed most, blasting music and singing along as I reflected upon anything and everything. The ride home gave me time to think and I arrived to the conclusion that I was being childish and Camila didn't deserve to be treated the way I had, she was only being nice. 

As I left the city behind and the roads became more lonely I started to feel uneasy. Ever since I was a child I had some sort of sixth sense, I could tell when I was in danger; it ranged from physical danger such as falling flat on my face to emotional danger. For example my sixth sense had warned me about Luca from day one, except I listened to it quite late. But the uneasiness I felt in that moment was different. I could feel someone watching me, which was impossible since I was practically flying through the highway and there was no one around me. My heart started to raise so I put the pedal to the metal and prayed all the way home. I wanted to get to safety as soon as possible. 

The big stone facade came into view and I could feel myself breathe again. But the feeling of distress followed me from my car and into my house. There was someone outside I could sense it. I went up to my room and looked out the window into the front yard. Houses in this neighborhood weren't too far apart so from my bedroom window I could see a few big houses similar to mine. I scrutinized every inch of the front lawn and the road and saw no one. I decided I was being paranoid and went straight to my bed and turned on the TV. For a few hours I binge watched Netflix until I could feel my eyes starting to close. 

It was cold. I could see nothing and hear nothing I just felt an immense amount of pain. Tears stained my face as I felt hurt, I could feel loved ones shutting me out. Then I felt the hunger, the bloodlust. I tried to scream, I tried to move or even to breath but I couldn't. It was as if I wasn't myself but someone else. The loss that surrounded me weighted heavy on my heart until it was too much and my eyes opened. 

I was back in my room, I was panting and my body damp with sweat. I dashed out of bed and ran towards the bathroom. I turned on the sink and gathered cold water in my hands to wash my face. I couldn't shake all of those negative emotions from me. It was the first time I felt so much in so little. The cold water refreshed me and as I looked up I saw a shadow for a brief instant before it disappeared. I jumped and let out a small cry. Heading back to my room I tried calming myself down. I couldn't stay home alone with all of my feelings and thoughts I had to get out. I grabbed my phone and dialed Cami, for once in my life I would swallow my pride and apologize. 

"What do you want?" The voice on the other end was anything but friendly which was understandable considering I'd been a bitch earlier on. 

"Cami I'm sorry. You know how I get about Luca." I said even though it was no excuse. 

"I know and I'm sorry I didn't tell you. It's just getting you to leave your house is already hard enough and I really want you to come tonight." Cami was always so sweet and forgiving I couldn't help but feel worse about my behavior this morning. 

"I'm not giving Luca the satisfaction of alienating me from my friends. I'll see you tonight." I replied. 

"Yay!" Cami said and after giving me all the details hung up.

I looked out the window seeing the sun shining bright and knowing it wouldn't set until way later and it made me feel safer. The energy around me was too much and something in my body told me that no matter where I was or who I was with it wouldn't be going away so easy.