Chapter 5: Alături

"Hello sweetheart." His words were music to my ears and my smile grew wider.

"Klaus." I acknowledged. Once my eyes met his he took off his sunglasses and I could see the satisfaction in his eyes. 

Irina looked at him and then back at me. She looked puzzled but said nothing. Klaus seemed to notice her presence and as he did he turned around giving me his back. Irina looked at him with great attention and I imagined Klaus was telling her something but I couldn't hear anything. 

"Len I'll be right back." Was all she said before shooting both Klaus and I a smile and walking away. 

I raised an eyebrow as Klaus took her seat. "That was strange." I pointed out.

"I gather she was in quite the rush. Good thing I arrived to keep you company." His voice was filled with all the cruel intentions imaginable. My senses were on high alert but despite the warnings I remained seated. 

"Thank you for the flower." I said with a small smile on my lips. 

Klaus leaned forward and took my right hand in his. The sole contact made my skin tingle and my insides burn. He then took my hand up to his lips and planted a single gentle kiss. My skin turned from fair to red and I had to tear my gaze away from his. "A beautiful flower for a beautiful creature like yourself." 

"You always know what to say don't you?" I shyly replied as he let go of my hand and I collected myself sipping the last of my cold brew. 

"I've had years of practice." Was all he said. "Let me order you another drink. I recon it's quite hot today." He signaled the waiter and ordered us both cold brews. When the waiter left us alone we simply looked at each other not saying anything. 

As my eyes connected with his I tried to go back to the night we'd met. The harder I tried the least I remembered. I could only recall our conversation and then him leaning into my neck but then I saw that memory that seemed so alien to me. Him and I walking down the streets of Bucharest having the time of our lives. It just seemed so unreal.

"Klaus." I finally said, breaking the silence between us.

He looked up. "Yes love?"

"What happened the other night. After the park I mean?" I asked.

Klaus took a deep breath. "How much do you remember?"

"Not much. I remember us talking and then well we were walking together laughing but not much else." The words seemed strange once I said them out loud, which was one more reason something didn't quite add up.

"There's nothing more to remember. We ended up dancing at some club, you had one too many drinks so I took you back to your friend's house." His words became more clipped and less playful. He was hiding something yet I couldn't figure out what or why. 

Looking at the streets I tried to find some sort of explanation but it was useless, that night was now a fading memory. "So...where have you been? I thought I'd hear from you sooner." I asked. 

Klaus stroked his growing beard and grinned. He took a sip of coffee and challenged me with his eyes. Suddenly I couldn't bare the hot sun burning my back nor the heat rising up my body. Klaus straightened himself and leaned back in the chair, moving his gaze elsewhere. For a second he seemed absent. 

"Fine don't tell me." I replied and huffed. 

"You wanted to hear from me?" The question took me by surprise and when he finally looked at me the challenge was still in his eyes.

I knew I had to be careful with my words, I didn't want to fluff his ego too much. "If we had such a good time I thought maybe you'd want to hear from me." I smiled triumphant as Klaus threw his head back and let out a big loud laugh.