Chapter 11: Legătură

I stood there frozen staring at Elijah. He was as tall as his brother only he looked more put together, Klaus was usually in dark jeans, dark t-shirt, necklaces hanging from his neck and his dark blond hair was usually disheveled whereas his brother was wearing a suit and his dark brown hair perfectly combed to the side.

"Um I'm afraid Klaus is out." I muttered staring down at the floor. I really wasn't in the mood to find out if Elijah was as unhinged as his brother.

"Yes I see that." He responded politely. "May I come in?" He asked.

I looked up and stared at him distrustingly, I'd learned not to trust charming men with accents. "How do I know you wont kill me?" I asked.

Elijah's lips curved up into a smile. "Because if I wanted to kill you you'd already be dead." And just as simple as that he'd managed to make me afraid, no threats needed just his brutal honesty.

I stepped aside and said nothing. Elijah came inside and sat down onto my makeshift bed. He stared at the room unsurprised and looked bored. I shut the door behind me and remained unmoved. Elijah noticed my awkwardness and let out a small laugh.

"You can sit down. I won't bite." He said.

I smiled a little. "Just not yet at least." I added jokingly.

"Ah you have humor, that's a relief. I thought I might have to wait for Niklaus in silence." His words were soft like silk and I knew he had no intention of hurting me. All I could sense from him was worry, not anger or hunger just sadness.

"My name is Ilena by the way." I said sitting down beside him.

He stretched out a hand. "Nice to meet you." I took it and shook it as confidently as I could manage. "How do you know Niklaus?" He asked.

The room was getting darker and I knew Klaus would be arriving any time soon. I turned on the lights before sitting back down. I told Elijah everything from how we'd met, how he'd fed on me and compelled me to forget. I tried not to get into how he made me feel even now. Elijah listened and didn't interrupt once. He waited until I finished my story.

"I'm sorry for what he's been doing to you. I understand he is up to no good. I'm guessing that's why you're here." He said.

"He wants to raise Dracula from the dead and he's holding me hostage in case my mother lied about The Impaler's whereabouts." I replied. A few tears rolled down my face and Elijah whipped them away. I welcomed his gentleness, Klaus had been so horrible to me in the past day I thought I'd go mad.

Elijah took a deep breath and stood up. "Niklaus hasn't had it easy. Our father, my father loathed him. He was a bastard child you see and when we became what we are now my father made it his life's mission to end Klaus." Elijah then proceeded to tell me how they'd been on the run from Mikael since then, how Klaus had ended him in a town called Mystic Falls and from there the list of betrayal Klaus had to endure was endless. "But it's no excuse for his behavior. We cannot let him raise Vlad Tepes Ilena. If it were to happen it would be disastrous not only for humans but for supernatural creatures as well."

"Did you ever meet him?" I asked.

"Yes I did. He was a cruel man. I remember one time he impaled a peace ambassador who came from Turkey, he didn't even give him the chance to speak. I'm sure he practiced dark magic and then when Klaus turned him he was invincible. That is until a powerful gypsy clan managed to desiccate him." Elijah's voice became stern, in his eyes concern was more than evident.

"How do we stop him? If I do anything he'll kill me and my family." My voice broke and I began to cry.

Elijah wrapped me in his arms as I sobbed into his chest. "I give you my word Ilena that..."

But before he could finish the door flung open and a laugh I'd come to know all too well boomed across the room.

"Well look who we have here. If it isn't my dear brother Elijah." Klaus' voice was filled with sarcasm. As I broke away from Elijah's grasp I noticed Klaus' eyes were filled with jealousy and he was staring right at me.

"Brother." Elijah said standing up. They both hugged each other awkwardly and the tension in the room was too much for any of us to handle.

"What are you doing here?" Klaus snarled.

"I came to stop you from making a huge mistake." Elijah began.

Then a heated discussion between the two brothers began. Each making their point as to why or why not the Impaler should be raised from his grave. Of course I was secretly siding with Elijah, but I couldn't say a word without having my mother or father threatened by Klaus.

"Brother I beg of you come back with me and we can sort everything out." Elijah pleaded.

Klaus threw his head back and let out a cackle. "Right because you can give me my daughter and the woman I love back."

My heart skipped a beat on the word daughter. Klaus was a father? Poor child I thought to myself. But in that moment I sensed in Klaus a pain so deep that made every bone in my body ache. What had driven Klaus to do all of this? I asked myself as I watched the two brothers quarrel.

"You and your thirst for power drove them away. Vlad Tepes won't bring them back to you either. What is it you pretend to do? Kill Hayley in order to give you Hope back? Or are you going to threaten Caroline into loving you?" Elijah's words hurt Klaus deeply, I noticed it in his eyes.

"You think I'm doing this out of love? Brother you don't know me at all." Klaus was putting up wall after wall but he couldn't fool me. He was lashing out at his brother because he knew that what Elijah said was the truth.

"Then why brother? Enlighten me." Elijah's brown eyes pierced through Klaus in sign of a challenge.

"Power." Klaus uttered. His voice sent shivers through out my whole body, any emotion I sensed before was replaced by nothing. "I want back my city, I want back the rule I held over the supernatural world I want to be feared." At the moment Klaus seemed more like an animal than a human.

Elijah stood before Klaus speechless. "Fine. Then I'll join you on your little search to ensure Ilena here wont be harmed."

"Suit yourself." Klaus replied.

I was sitting on the couch frozen as Elijah exited the room and with his eyes told me we'd see each other tomorrow. Once the door shut behind him I was left alone with Klaus who at the moment was at a fragile state. A turmoil of emotions invaded me but those feelings weren't mine, they were his. The amount of negative feelings I was channeling made me grow weak. Every inch of my body throbbed and I stared at Klaus with pity. When his eyes connected with mine they grew enraged. In the blink of an eye Klaus was lifting me up from the ground by my neck. I tried fighting it but I needed air. My chest burned with need and my vision became blurry.

"Klaus please." The words struggled out of me.

Klaus simply smirked. "I don't need your pity Ilena." He threw me hard on the ground causing me to hit my head and pass out.

Everything was cold and in hues of blue when I opened my eyes. I saw the lights in the room were all off but one. I noticed I wasn't on the sofa anymore but on the bed. I stood up and when I turned around the sight before me paralyzed me. I saw myself, my brown hair a mess yet my face looked at ease, my body was asleep. My head rested on Klaus' lap as he stroked my hair and cried. I was confused. How could I be at two places at once? Klaus began to speak to me softly, he stared at my sleeping face and he was muttering "I'm sorry" as tears rolled down his face. I walked over to him and as I tried to touch him everything went dark and I could no longer see anything but my closed eyelids.