Chapter 8: Amenințarea

Klaus dragged me into the house with an unnatural strength as my mother trailed behind him. A million thoughts and emotions rushed through my head but the most prominent one was that of betrayal. And to think I'd called him friend mere seconds before he threatened to kill me I thought with sadness. 

We were now in my living room; Klaus threw me onto the brown leather sofa and sat down beside me. His proximity made my blood boil. I looked at him and where I once saw beauty I saw a monster instead. 

"I hate you." I cried as tears blurred my vision.

"You're not the first person to say that love believe me." He responded with mockery. His eyes were dancing with glee and as much as I tried looking there was no hint of regret. 

"What are you?" I asked. Flashes of my nightmares came to mind, his monstrous face, his hunger. 

"He's a hybrid." My mother interjected as she walked inside.

I opened my eyes in disbelief even though I had no idea what being a hybrid meant. "A what?"I asked and Klaus laughed maliciously.

He took in a deep breath and drew his face eerily close to mine. I heard my mother inhale and hold the air in her lungs. For a second I thought my life was about to end. But Klaus didn't do anything, he just let his face transform into the face I'd seen in my dreams. His eyes were bloodshot, the veins underneath them clearly visible and his teeth became deadly fangs. In that instant an image from the night I'd met Klaus came to my mind. I'd seen that face already and it hadn't been in my dreams. He'd turned before my eyes and yet I was only remembering it. I let out a scream and Klaus smiled in satisfaction.

"It took you long enough to remember. I'll give you a little push, seeing as to I can only compel you when you're vulnerable." As he said those words his eyes grew small and dilated again. "Remember." He commanded. In mere seconds I remembered his teeth sinking into my neck, the blood leaving my system and the sharp pain. I heard myself scream, I felt my fear and I wanted to run. "You were delicious by the way."

My mother began to cry as well. "You hurt her?" She asked.

"Oh no Lavinia. I merely took a sip." He laughed. "I needed her alive and to gain her trust. It was fairly easy I must say. I can't help being so charming." 

"But why?" I asked. "I knew there was something off with you but not this. I never imagined you were a...hybrid, whatever that means." Anger coursed through my veins and my voice came out strong. I needed to appear brave, even though inside all I wanted to do was hide.

"A hybrid means vampire and werewolf. And I'm not just any hybrid love, I'm the original hybrid." He said it as if it should mean something to me but it didn't. "Seems your mother has a lot of explaining to do. Like why I can't compel you as easily as I would any human. Or why you can sense what everyone is feeling or how you can know things others can't. But I'm not here to enlighten you on your origins. I'm here to talk to dear Lavinia." He looked over at my mom who was now sobbing and covering her face with her hands. 

"Then let me go." I screamed as I stood up. But Klaus was too fast and too strong. He sat me back down in no time. 

"I need you just in case your mother is unwilling to cooperate." Klaus' voice was calm as if he was used to extorting people. "You've been running away little gypsy." He said, this time to my mother.

She looked up, her face stained with tears and her brown hair now a tangled mess. I was glad my father wasn't home because God knows what Klaus would've done. 

"I got word you were on the move. I couldn't let you find me could I?" My mother defied. Go mom! I thought. 

In that moment I heard the lock to the front door turn. It was my father. The door opened and footsteps were heading our way. I prayed my father would take a detour, that he'd remember something he'd left at the office, anything. But I wasn't so lucky. He came into the living room and when he saw both me and my mom terrified and Klaus smiling like the sociopath he was his brown eyes became worried.