Chapter 9: Revelaţie

The thought of Klaus kept me awake all night. I tossed and turned unable to fall asleep. I was about to venture on a journey to raise Vlad Tepes from the dead for god knows what purpose. All I knew was that if someone as despicable as Klaus wanted him walking the earth it was for no good reason. My father was in shock and my mother had sent him with Andrei back to Bucharest for a few days, it would be good for him my mother had said as my father left our home. It amazed me how strong she was, I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. The guy I liked turned out to be a sociopath, homicidal revenge seeking hybrid. He tried to kill me just after he'd been so sweet to me. Tears of betrayal rolled down my cheeks. Since sleep wasn't coming my way anytime soon I decided to get up and see if my mom was awake as well.

That night was eerily cold. Romania in June was warm, even during night time but tonight the air felt chilly. I tip toed across the hallway and noticed the light to my mother's studio was on. I silently made my way towards the door and opened it slowly. It sent a loud creak through out the house making my mother jump. As she turned around I saw fear in her eyes but as soon once she saw it was me the muscles on her face relaxed.

"Ilena." She said. Her voice was raspy, she'd been crying.

Without saying a word I hugged her tight and we both gave way to our tears. I heaved as we held each other, my mother's fingers combed through my hair making me feel more at ease. But I couldn't get Klaus and his monstrous ways out of my head.

"What happened today?" I brought myself to ask.

My mother let go and with sad eyes looked at me. She placed a hand on my arm and squeezed tight as she took a deep breath. "I was hoping you'd never find out." She began. I looked at her and said nothing, begging her to go on. "I believe you have many questions dear. But before I answer them I'd like to ask you a few questions myself. That is if you'd let me."

I nodded my head without saying anything. 

"Have you been sensitive lately? I mean, so much so you're able to feel how others are feeling as well?" She asked.

I nodded. 

"You can feel their pain, their happiness, sadness or any other emotion?" She asked again.

I nodded once more. 

"You've been having dreams as well? Premonitory dreams I mean." Her voice was now stern. 

"Yes." I responded. "Every night since the day I met Klaus." 

My mother ran her hand trough her face in worry. "I was hoping you'd never inherit any of it." Was all she said. 

I stared at her puzzled. "Inherit what?" 

"Ilena, you have the gift of empathy and premonition. Those are deeply connected with the spirits and with our heritage." She said. 

"Our heritage?" I asked.

"Darling, my family, your family are the descendants of one of the most powerful gypsy clans to ever exist in Romania. You can do all of those things because that's one of the many abilities gypsies possess." As her words reached my ears they seemed foreign. What she was saying came out to me as if straight from stories children read before bed.

"Gypsies?" I began. Questions came at me from every corner of my brain. There were so many I couldn't formulate half of them. "Do you have those gifts as well?" I asked.

My mother shook her head. "I only know what your grandmother has told me. Not everyone has them, not since the 13th century when our family needed them most. The fact that you have them tells me that you have a very special task to complete." Her voice sounded more worried than proud. 

"Then how do you know about Klaus? What does he want from us?" I asked.

"You see, Klaus is a very old creature he's one of the Original vampires so he's witnessed most of our earth's history. During the 13th century he was gathering up strength in order to fight someone, to this day no one knows who it was. He met The Impaler a few times over his lifetime. Vlad was an ambitious man and so is Klaus. It is said that both helped each other out. Klaus gave him the strength to fight the Ottomans and Vlad vowed to help him in whatever he needed." My mother's voice trailed off as she stared deep into the dark woods. There was no moon out tonight. 

"So Klaus turned Vlad Tepes into a vampire?" I asked.

"Yes he did. But he was no ordinary vampire. Dracula was strong even as a human. So when he became a vampire he was a mortal threat to the people not only in Wallachia but everywhere." My mother replied. 

"And how does our family fit into all of this?" Even tough I sort of knew the answer.

"Vlad was supposedly killed by the Ottomans in 1476 but he paid a visit to Sultan Mehmed II shortly after. It is unknown why Dracula didn't end him that day, but The Impaler loved to see his victims rot in fear before killing them. Knowing this Mehmed sought out Syeira who was the leader of our clan. They struck a deal to desiccate Vlad and seal him off somewhere he wouldn't be found. Syeira and her clan were incredibly powerful, they were servants of the sun so the amount of power they could tap into was never ending." My mother finished her tail and I was in awe. "Now you can guess the rest." 

"Why didn't you tell me any of this before?" I asked. 

"Because I didn't want you to be involved in something that could very well be a legend. When my mother told me I carried the secret possible locations and I intended to take the secret to my grave. I didn't want to burden you." Tears began to collect at my mother's eyes. "I never thought Klaus would seek you out. I didn't give you a traveler name on purpose, I raised you as far away from everything as possible so you wouldn't be involved." She was now sobbing uncontrollably. 

I hugged her and said nothing. We both remained in silence as the sun rose from behind the trees turning the sky a beautiful shade of baby pink. I held onto my mother knowing that Klaus would be at the door any second to collect me and my mother could do nothing to stop him. 

As if I'd summoned him I heard the front door open. I sat up straight and all of my senses were alert. Neither my mother nor I made a sound. We were both cheating ourselves into thinking that if we were silent Klaus would go away. But as his footsteps drew nearer and nearer we came to accept that I was about to leave the house on a trip I might never return from. My mother tightened her grasp on me as the door to her studio flung open.

"There you are love." Klaus exclaimed as he yanked me to my feet. "Come now, it's time to leave."