Chapter 7: Trădare

Over dinner we exchanged mindless conversation and a few glasses of The Artist finest wine. Klaus could be scary as he could be charming. He had a way to make me laugh and forget how little I wanted to go home and how much I wanted to get away. I enjoyed his company, the jokes, the stories and his elegant mannerisms. He seemed to be from another time. Yet at the same time I could feel his troubles, I could sense his pain and bloodthirsty ways. But I didn't want to leave because I couldn't grasp just how right my intuition could be. 

After a lovely evening Klaus accompanied me to my car and bid me goodbye. As I drove back home I couldn't get the foolish grin off my face. For the first time in a while I felt at ease with someone other than my friends. It was dark the moment I pulled up my driveway and the lights inside my house were all off. Time must've gotten away I thought as I locked my car and walked up the front steps. I couldn't see very well, I was having trouble finding my keys. I took out my phone and turned on the flashlight. My purse was a mess and I was yet to buy a keychain for my keys so finding them was no easy task. As I rummaged inside the bag I felt a chill go up my spine. I froze on the spot. Turning around slowly I said a prayer and squinted in order to see something but it was too dark, I couldn't make out a thing. I knew there was someone in the darkness I could feel their presence as well as their intentions and they weren't too far away from cruel. I stuck my hand inside my bag more frantically since I could sense it getting closer. Then as soon as my hands grabbed onto the cold metal of the keys a wave of relief overcame me. I unlocked the door as fast as I could and slammed it close. Just in time for me to see a shadow on the other side. Whoever was out there wanted in and there was no way in hell I'd let it. 

I ran up the stairs and locked myself inside my room. I didn't even bother changing into my pajamas, I got into my bed just as I was and wrapped myself under the covers and shot my eyes close. It was a while until I finally fell asleep but when I did all I saw was Klaus but it was the monster inside him, I thought I'd seen it once before yet I couldn't remember when. 

*

Klaus called the next morning and invited me out for breakfast. Hearing his charming voice made me forget all about last night so I accepted his invitation. 

A few weeks passed with nothing out of the ordinary. Klaus and I hung out almost every day. We'd mostly talk about his research yet he knew there was a big piece missing. He told me he'd looked everywhere with no luck at all, there was no new information and he was growing desperate. Just like the days nights went by exactly the same causing me to be exhausted. I was having the same nightmare; Klaus and his monstrous face. I'd find myself waking up drenched in sweat and knowing that there was someone out there lurking. 

*

It was a hot summer day and Klaus and I had decided to go out to the park for a walk. In the past few weeks I'd grown closer to him and I felt at ease despite that gnawing feeling in the back of my mind telling me to stay away. We walked with our hands intertwined enjoying the fresh air and warmth around us. 

"I think you should come over for dinner." I said.

Klaus paused and looked at me with an evident expression of surprise. "Do you?" Was all he said. 

"I mean we've been going out for almost a month now and my parents, as much as it pains me really want to meet you." I replied. 

"You told your parents about me?" He didn't even bother to hide the smile of pride on his face. 

I could feel myself turning red. "Not quite. I just told my mom because of your research. She knows a lot about the subject and about curses and things. So if anyone can help you its her." 

"Thank you Ilena. It would be my pleasure." He responded and placed a kiss on my hand. Not taking his eyes away from mine. 

I looked down at the floor, the intensity of his gaze was too much for me to handle at the moment. It didn't take much to notice I was a nervous wreck. It was just hard to find the trigger of my anxiety at the moment. It was a tie between Klaus and my father actually meeting him. We made our way to my car in silence. As I drove back I called my mother to let her know she'd need to set up an extra place at the table, but other than that Klaus and I didn't speak, yet the silence was enjoyable. I could feel him staring and I could feel his want. I wanted him too yet I was scared. 

It was dawn by the time we arrived home. My heart was pumping at full speed and I was having to take deep breaths in order to calm myself down and not die of a heart attack. We got out of the car and Klaus wore a concerned expression on his face.

"Are you alright love?" He asked. "We can do this another time if it's too much." We were now side by side, he draped an arm around my shoulders and squeezed as if trying to comfort me. 

"The sooner we get this over with the better. Besides it's not like you and I are together or anything. We're friends right?" I asked more to myself than to him.

Klaus seemed taken aback for a second. Through his eyes flashed some sort of disbelief. I could see a million thoughts go through his head but his doubts lasted for only an instant. "Yes, we're friends." The way he said this made me shiver. His voice became cold and it seem to come from a place far away. 

I managed to smile, a half smile filled with dread. We were walking up the steps towards the front door. As I was about to put the key through the hole it swung open. I saw my mother with her chocolate brown hair up in a messy bun and her clear green eyes wore and expression of fear. Both Klaus and I stood there frozen.

"You!" My mother exclaimed as she pointed a finger at Klaus. "You're not setting foot in this house you monster."

Before I could even ask I no longer had air in my lungs. The burning sensation of suffocating drove tears out of my eyes and a coarse scream. I didn't need to see who my assailant was because I knew all to well who it was, Klaus.

"No need to get all riled up sweetheart." His voice was filled with irony and as he defied my mom I tried squirming out of his grasp but it was useless. 

"Let go of my daughter!" My mother's scream pierced through my ears and tears of desperation began to stain her face. 

"Mom." The words struggled out of my lips and Klaus tightened his forearm against my neck making it impossible for me to say another word. 

"Don't waste your breath love, you'll need it for later." He whispered in my ears. Disgust filled every inch of my body and as I fought for air I wanted to kill him. I'd never felt so betrayed in my life. I knew I'd been foolish and brought this upon myself. All of the signs had been there all along and my intuition had practically begged me to stay away but I didn't listen. All of the pieces of the puzzle began falling into place. The dark presence that had haunted me for the past month was him. Klaus was a monster and when he said he'd been in Estonia looking for someone it didn't take long for me to figure out it was my mother he'd been trailing. 

"Now Lavinia let me in or I'll snap your daughter's neck." He barked.

My heart dropped as I saw the immense sadness that shadowed my mother's face. She took a deep breath and reluctantly uttered the words Klaus so desperately wanted to hear. "You may come in."