Chapter 15: Furtună

It was midnight by the time we got back to the hotel. The climb up to the fortress had been just as exhausting as the climb down. The sky was packed with heavy clouds and the temperature had dropped considerably; it was unusual for this time of year to be so cold and I knew there had to be something supernatural behind it. None of us spoke to each other since being up in Poenari; Klaus was working on his master plan now that he knew where the Impaler's resting place was located, Elijah was deeply worried for whatever shred of humanity and salvation was left in his brother and as for me I was scared by my connection to this monster. 

The warm lobby was a welcomed change as soon as I stepped in. Elijah and Klaus didn't seem to mind the cold, but then again they were dead. All the lights were off, the receptionist at the front desk was fast asleep and all around us darkness consumed us. 

"I must head back to Bucharest." Elijah said all of a sudden. 

Both Klaus and I stared at him quizzically. "Why?" Was all his brother dared ask. If there was something I'd learned in my time with the Mikaelson's was that their family dynamic was treason, paranoia and hurt. So it came as no surprise that Klaus was skeptical about Elijah's sudden departure. "Are we so boring that you must leave us so soon?" He added in an attempt to relieve some of the tension. 

"There's some business I need to tend to." Elijah looked at the floor nervously. He was lying I could tell.

"And what business is that at two o'clock in the morning brother?" Klaus asked.

"I'm on the first flight back to the States. Hayley needs me." He was succinct, Elijah clearly was in no mood to explain himself. 

Klaus took a deep breath and placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. "It's a shame you won't be joining us in our last leg of the trip Elijah. Give Hayley my best." Part of Klaus seemed genuine but another part within him wasn't buying a single word of what Elijah was saying. 

"I will." He replied. Then his brown eyes turned to me. "Ilena." He said affectively as he placed a gentle hand on my cheeks. "It's been a pleasure meeting you and don't let this beast bully you anymore. He'd be lost without you." His words reverberated against the walls of my skull. So he too noticed Klaus' strange behavior towards me.

"Now now let's not get all sentimental shall we. You should be going brother." Klaus interrupted making it clear Elijah was becoming a bit of a nuisance. 

Elijah hugged both Klaus and me tight. I hated to see him go, he was keeping Klaus' temper tantrums in check and now I'd been left to fend for myself. As I watched him leave I found myself missing him and his old fashioned ways. Klaus believe it or not would miss him too, except he was far too proud to admit it.  

We both went up to the room and as soon as my head touched the pillow I drifted off into a stormy sleep.

*

A loud bang forced me to open my eyes. My heart was pounding at full speed as I tried to make sense of whatever was going on outside. Suddenly a flash of lightning illuminated the room making me become aware of how dark it was. After the lightning came another loud bang and I covered myself with the thick blankets. Ever since I was little I'd been terrified of storms. 

"It's only rain love." A voice said beside me.

I peeked outside the covers and saw Klaus sitting up on his bed, looking as if nothing were going on. I didn't have the energy to reply, all I wanted to do was go back to sleep considering it was still early. So I ducked back under the blankets relishing on the feeling of warmth and comfort. But it was short lived as Klaus aggressively pulled them off of me.