Chapter 2: Lună

My feet stepped down the stairs one at a time, before I arrived to the first floor I heard the door unlock. I froze on the spot, a chill came down my spine and I gulped down the urge to run. But once the door swung open I recognized my father and I let myself relax. He stepped inside not saying a word, his tall figure towered over the round table in the foyer. Combing through his already perfectly coifed brownish grey hair with his fingers he walked over to the table to drop off his keys. He didn't bother looking up even though he'd seen me when he entered the house. I waited for him to go straight to the kitchen before moving again. When I finally reached the ground floor I decided to follow him. 

"Ilena." He greeted coldly as I arrived to our kitchen. 

I assumed it was a few minutes past six because my father was already home, but if I just relayed on how the landscape looked I would've guessed it was around two in the afternoon. Not saying a word I pulled up one of the barstools and sat down. My father opened up the fridge grabbed the water pitcher and served us both a glass. It was an unspoken ritual, even though we didn't have the best of relationships my father and I would always share a glass of something once he got home from work.

"How was your exam today?" He finally asked after taking a sip of the refreshing liquid. 

"It went fine." I responded awkwardly playing with the glass in front of me. 

My father stared at me quizzically but simply turned around and with that I knew our little chat was over. I finished my water and left the glass inside the dishwasher before heading back to my room. Camila had said we'd meet up around nine but with my father home and us not speaking I'd rather go to her place and arrive with her. Before entering my room I headed down the hall to my mother's art studio to see if maybe she was there. I had fallen asleep for a few hours earlier so it wouldn't be much of a surprise if she'd arrived without me noticing. I opened the door that led to the studio and popped my head in. I only saw the enormous picture window that led out to the balcony and her easel right in front of it with a half painted canvas. But aside from that and her shelf full of paint and brushes I saw no one. Closing the door behind me I turned around and headed to my room. 

Once inside I texted Cami that I'd get ready at her place, she had no problem so I packed up a black circle skirt, a white simple body suit and a fringe black jacket. I no longer wore heels so with my white sneakers I was set. Once my duffel was packed I headed back down the stairs crashing into my father. 

"Going out?" He asked.

"Yes." Was all I said. Him and I had never been close, but after breaking up with Luca we were further apart than ever. That had been my first act of rebellion according to him. I was supposed to become a lawyer or work for the government just like him, I had to marry someone close to his circle of friends and no one was better suited for the position than Luca. But my yearning for freedom and adventure didn't mix well with Luca's conventional ways and that had been a low blow for my father. I remembered him telling me how I was turning out to be just like my mother and her side of the family, which he disliked deeply. 

My mother, Lavinia was an artist. She was always traveling looking for the perfect landscape for her paintings and unlike my father she was full of life. To this day I didn't understand what they saw in each other but for some reason they mixed well. They loved each other very much and they both seemed to agree that I should be more like my father and his side of the family rather than my mother's so raising me had never been an issue. 

"Where are you going?" My father's voice was distant and his hazel eyes never met mine.

"To a bar downtown." I replied.