Treatment

Waking up without Tom was so, uncomfortable. I know i was being dramatic, but the last few nights, when i slept, wrapped in his arms, I guess I just got attached quick.

So waking up without him and the London air, made me a little depressed. I still wasn't used to being back home.

I was taking Alexis to the doctors today. I was so nervous about what they were going to say.

Alexis was up when I got up. She was writing in her notebook. Right when she saw me, she closed the notebook.

I looked at her, suspicious. "What were you just writing?"

She smiled. "Nothing, just a little note."

I laughed and said. "Okay, well are you ready to go soon?"

She sighed and looked down to her feet. "I guess."

I thought I was nervous, I can't imagine what she is feeling.... she's the one who is sick.

I looked at her. "Hey, are you okay?"

She looked away and began to cry. "Yeah, its just... this time, is different than before. I'm worse. I feel it."

I had to be the good friend. The one who is optimistic. Which is usually not my way of thinking. But I did what I could to keep her happy. "Lex don't worry. Lets see what the doctor says. Maybe, what you hear will surprise you. And if not, we will get through it. I'll be here for you. And so will Kate. But mostly me..." I joked.

She laughed and sniffled her nose. "Thanks Jessica."

-

-

We sat, waiting for results from the doctor. My hands shook with anticipation. My stomach ached with fear. I needed answers. And so did Alexis.

The doctor walked in.

I took a deep breath. This was it.

He sat Down and directed us to sit also.

Then he began to speak. "Well, Alexis. I'm very sorry to say this but. The cancer has spread throughout the body. We have tried all we could last time but, this time is much more severe."

My heart fell. I turned to Alexis. She looked like she was expecting to hear it. She probably was.

She asked calmly. "What are the chances of me over coming this?"

He sighed. "Its happened before. But we would consider it a miracle."

"There are no such thing as miracles." she said. Then she got up and stormed out.

I stood up and yelled her name. But she didn't answer.

The doctor turned to me. "I get that reaction a lot from patients who get this kind of news. I'm very sorry. I'd like to start her on chemotherapy as soon as possible. Will you tell her that? I will call a little later and schedule it."

I nodded my head. Still unaware of what he just told me. Until it clicked in my brain.

She was dying.

As I walked to the car, I stopped in my tracks, trying to get myself together. What just happened? I ran into the bathroom and stumbled to the sink. I turned the faucet on and splashed the cool water in my face. Then, I looked at myself through the mirror, Alexis was dying. I screamed. "This can't be happening! Please Tara! Wake me up from this nightmare! I just want to wake up already! Please save me from this twisted dream! I need someone... I just need..."

I took my phone out and called Tom. "Hello?" he answered.

I took a deep breath and began to speak. "Tom? Alexis is dying. Alexis is dying and I need someone to talk to. I know I have to be strong for her but... I'm broken. I'm not sure if I can do this!"

He interrupted. "Hey, hey Jess, slow down. Everything is going to be fine! I'm here. Calm down sweatheart, you need the breathe."

I wiped my tears and took a deep breath in, then exhaled slow. "I'm sorry. But Tom... the cancer has spread too much. And the doctor said it would be a miracle if she lived. Then she ran out of the room! What do I do? What do I say to her!? I don't know what she needs!"

I heard his calming voice speak once again. "Jess, she is terrified. She just found out that she may not have much time left. You are her best friend, she needs you. She needs you more than anyone. So I want you to go find Alexis, And just hug her. She needs normal. She needs reassurance. Do you think you can do that?"

I closed my eyes. "Yes. I think i can."

He spoke softly. "Good, I know you can do this. You are the strongest person I know. I love you with all my heart."

I smiled and held in my tears. "Thank you so much. I love you too."

-

-

When I got out to the car, Alexis sat in the passenger side with her head leaning against the window. I took another deep breath before opening the door.

I sat down and pulled her in for a hug.

She broke down in tears. "Jessica. I'm so scared."

I hugged her tighter. "I know. I know you are." then I pulled her away and grabbed her hands, looking her straight in the eyes with seriousness. "But you are a fighter. And fighters may not believe in miracles, but they do what ever it takes to overcome an obstacle. You need to fight, Lex. You need to be strong. Can you be strong for me? Will you fight."

She sighed. Her tears trickled down her face. Then she nodded and said "I'm going to fight."

I smiled and hugged her again.

-

-

That night I called Tom to thank him for his wise words. Thanks to him, Alexis was going to start chemo. She chose to fight.

He said to me. "Jessica that is amazing! But don't thank me, I didn't do anything. It was all you. Those words were all yours. You were there for your friend. You were strong for her."

Maybe he was right. Maybe I had to believe in myself a little more.

After I hung up with Tom, Alexis knocked on my bedroom door.

"Come in" I said.

She walked in. "Was that Tom?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, we were just saying goodnight to each other."

She smiled. "How cute!"

I laughed. Then looked at her.

There was a paper in her hand. "What's that?" I asked.

She sat on my bed and said. "Its a list."

I looked confused. " A list of what?"

She looked at me. "Things I wanna do... before i, die."