1 Month Later

We put the drama behind us. We never discussed the breakup, and Alexis never really told me if what she said, was actually true. Did she really mean what she said when she yelled at me? I will never know. That was okay with me, because it was over and done with.

Alexis was getting worse. She had been doing chemotherapy monthly, so she has done two treatments. She's been sleeping more, and getting sick too. It is really starting to scare me. But I hold my thoughts in, and try to act normal for her. No matter how hard it is.

Kate and I have been planning out when we are doing the things on the bucket list. Its very hard to plan the dates with all of Alexis' doctor appointments and meetings. Kate was very good at it though. I just listened to her the whole time.

Tom and I acted as we did before the breakup. He called me every night and sent me cute messages. I sent him pictures of the girls and I. He loved hearing about what we were doing and what part of the list we were checking off. I loved that he didn't just want to hear about me. He loved hearing about the girls too. He would listen to funny stories I told and laugh at them, and he would tell me stories about what he was doing in London.

My favorite part of the day was when I get to come home and talk to him. And then eventually fall asleep with him on the phone. Just so I can wake up to his voice.

-

-

Today was mountain climbing day. My favorite day. I actually wasn't too scared of this one. I've been mountain climbing and I loved to do it.

When we got to the site, it was the peak of noon. The hot sun was beating down on us.

By the time we had the equipment on and ready to go, Alexis changed her mind.

"Guys... I can't do this. I'm sorry but I'm too weak and I don't think I'd be able to do it."

I looked at Kate, then back to Alexis. "We understand. Let's go."

As we walked back to the car, Kate nudged my arm and whispered. "What are we gonna do now?"

I whispered back. "I have an idea."

We drove about 6 miles. I knew my town very well, I knew all the spots to go. When I was a kid, I used to wander the streets until I got lost, I always found my way back... so I kind of liked being lost for a little bit. I used to find the best spots to just sit, and watch the sun set over my small town. It relaxed me. And I think that's what Alexis wanted, so I knew the perfect spot for us to go.

Alexis had fallen asleep as we drove. She was right, she wouldn't have been able to climb the rocks. You needed strength for that, and she just didn't have it.

We got to the spot. It was a cliff, overlooking the town. The sun was just setting perfectly.

I opened the trunk of the car and took out a big blanket, and laid it out on the ground, right in front of the setting sun.

Kate woke Alexis up. She sat up and got out of the car, slowly. As she looked out at the sky over the cliff, she began to cry.

She turned to me. "Jess, its beautiful."

I smiled. "It is, and hey, we might have not climbed the mountain, but we still are standing at the top of the mountain, and that is what your list said."

She laughed and wiped away her tears. "It sure is what my list said."

Kate smiled. She was crying a bit too. She was hiding it from Alexis, but I saw.

-

-

We sat on the blanket and watched the pink sky turn to purple, right over our heads. The stars came out as we gazed.

Alexis rested her head on my shoulder. "I am so happy, right now, in this moment."

I smiled and hugged her, then pulled Kate in, we had to group hug. "So am I Lex."

We snapped a quick picture. Alexis leaned on my shoulder as Kate leaned in next to me. I was in the middle.

I sent it to Tom.
Message to Tom: (With picture) Hey love! Long day for Lex, but here we are, at the top of the mountain. I love you Tom. Call me when you can.

-

-

Alexis had fallen asleep, limp in my arms, so Kate and I carried her back to the car.

As we were driving home, Kate turned to me, in the passenger seat. "That, was a really good idea, taking her to the cliff"

I smiled. "It was an okay idea."

She stared at me. "No Jess, it was brilliant. It was an idea that only a best friend can think of. So next time you think that Alexis doesn't need you, think again, because I couldn't have come up with an idea like that."

I pulled over and turned to Kate. "She needs you too Kate. She is your best friend too."

She smiled. "Yeah, but Alexis and I don't have a relationship like you have with her. So just remember that.

I looked at Alexis, asleep in the back seat,and smiled "I will."

Kate pulled me in for a hug. And I squeezed her back.

"Kate, you are a really good friend."

She smiled and a tear fell from her eye. " That's all I ever wanted to be."

-

-

Tom had called later that night.

I answered. "Hey. Did you get the picture."

He laughed. "Hey love, I sure did. How was climbing?"

"Well actually, we didn't really climb. Alexis was too tired, so we drove up to the cliff instead. It was beautiful."

He spoke sweetly. "I bet it was beautiful, I just wish I could have been there with you."

I smiled. "Me too. Maybe someday."

"No Jessica, Definitely someday."

We are nearing the end of the book!!! I predict 7-10 more parts!!! Its going to get busy! hope you can keep up:) keep reading! thanks x. Ashley