Gone

The morning came quick. I woke up, but I didn't move a muscle. My head lay next to Alexis. I remembered what she said last night. I froze. "Alexis?"

No answer.

I sat up and looked at Alexis, she looked as if she was sleeping.

In that moment, I knew. But my heart didn't want to believe it. My heart didn't want to let go.

"Alexis!" I shook her a bit. A tear fell from my face.

"Alexis! Wake up!" I paused and then, I screamed.

Kate jumped up in her chair, as the doctors rushed in and pulled me off the bed to try and revive Alexis.

This can't be happening. Kate looked over at Alexis. She knew what was happening. Her body was still, as her eyes began to water.

I fell to the ground. "Alexis!!! Lex, you have to wake up! I need to say one last goodbye."

I got up to run to her bedside, Alexis' limp hand, opened up and the necklace fell to the ground. "No."

I grabbed the necklace. "No. Alexis."

The nurses came in and tried to lead Kate and I out of the room. I went, crazy.

"No! I can't leave her!!! I need to be in here with her!" They finally dragged me out. I collapsed to the ground. I closed my eyes. "This is just a dream." It wasn't.

I cried. Kate knelt down beside me and cried. We cried together.

-

-

Alexis' doctor came out.

I stood up and faced him, with a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, she was still alive.

He didn't have to say a word. He sighed, and shook his head. "I'm sorry."

I heard those words, and everything went blank. I leaned against the wall, defeated.

Kate screamed.

I pulled her in, and we hugged, this time, it wasn't a group hug.

Alexis was gone. Forever.

-

-

The house, was empty. Nothing but memories, of Tara and Alexis.

I couldn't even go down the hallway with out crying. I slept on the couch.

I thought about the last thing I said to Alexis. "Pinky Promise." Then flashbacks of us flew into my mind. All the times I wrapped my pinky around hers. Pinky Promise. All the times we laughed together. All the times we fought. All the times we cried.

I told myself that I was prepared for her to leave. But, I wasn't. I wasn't ready for Alexis to die. I wasn't ready for Tara to die. I, wasn't ready.

But is anybody really ever ready for a loved one to die? No.

I wanted it to be a dream. The whole thing. Alexis having cancer and dying. Tara dying. I wanted to pinch myself, and wake up.

The house was quiet. But my mind was loud. My thoughts were the speakers, and the volume was turned up all the way.

"Tara, Alexis. Come back."