| e l e v e n |

“Love has the ability to heal as well as damage one's heart.”

~

f l a s h b a c k  c o n t i n u e d

S h r a d d h a

I checked my watch for the eleventh time in a row and glanced at the entrance again but Varun was nowhere in sight.

Alia looked bored, twirling her finger around her hair and yawning, every minute or so.

“I told you he wouldn't come.” She said.

“He will come. He promised me.” I said.

“Shraddha, you have been saying this for the past one hour.” She said.

“Maybe, he is struck in traffic or some urgent work stepped before him.” I said.

“If that was the case he would have informed you or left a text message, atleast. Stop protecting him, always for his mistake, Shraddha.” She said.

“Just five minutes, Alia. If he wouldn't turn up we would leave.” I said. She didn't reply but leaned back on her seat and sighed.

Ten minutes passed and he didn't come.

“Let's leave.” I said. —I took my bag and got up while Alia followed me. We were supposed to meet at this restaurant today as it was a Saturday and a holiday for school.

But, Varun didn't turn up today and this wasn't the first time he was doing this and I choose not to let it bother me.

But, I guess Alia is right. I shouldn't protect him always because I deserve for an explanation of his doings this time.

I drooped Alia to her home and was walking to my house when someone grabbed me from behind.

I looked behind to see Varun standing with a smile on his face. Anger rised in me and I jerked my hand away from his and resumed walking.

“Shraddha, please listen to me.” He said, running behind me while I choose to ignore him.

This was the same case, always. Varun always does one thing or the other to annoy me and later comes running behind me to apologize.

He stepped forward and stood in front of me blocking my way.

“Listen to me for once.” He said while I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest and looked at him.

“I am so sorry, Shraddha. I couldn't turn up to meet you because Arjun was sick and I had to take care of him.” He said.

“You could have atleast informed me, Varun.” I said.

“My mobile was switched off, which is why I ran all the way to your house to see you and apologize.” He said while I shook my head.

“It okay, I can understand. You have to take care of your friend, Varun.” I said while he hugged me all of a sudden.

“You are the best girlfriend, I ever got.” He said.

“I love you.” I said while he kept quiet. —He never spoke back those three words back to me. I always waited to hear those three words from him but it never came.

Maybe, he loves me deep inside but choose not to utter those words.

What I feel is actions speak much louder than words.

~~

Few months later

“You look gorgeous, my sweet baby.” My mother said as we both looked i to the mirror giving a final touch to my makeup.

Today is the last day of my high school. As a result, a Farwell party was held in my school. The much awaited day of my life because after this everything changes. —I will never be the little girl, anymore.

It's time to grow up and run into college. I couldn't help but feel bad because I will miss my friends and my high school life.

But, I am glad Varun will be there with me because I never want to loose him. I want him to be with me in my every step because I love him.

Some say high school is not the right age to find love. We will never know the definition of love and we will be utterly confused with the emotions lurking inside our minds, most of the time.

But, not in my case. Atleast, I hope so because what I feel for Varun is true and it's unlike any of the feeling I felt before towards any of the guy.

I truly hope atleast Varun will say the exact three words which I am waiting to hear from him for almost four months, by now.

“Ready?” My mother asked and I nodded before taking up my purse and walking downstairs ready to leave for the day.

~~

“This is the best batch we ever had and we couldn't ask for more.”

Me and Alia sighed before boring looking away. I looked around frantically searching for Varun but he was nowhere in sight.

“When will she end her speech. We are supposed to dance and have drinks for our day. Not listen to this boring lecture.” Alia said while I nodded my head before looking back to searching Varun.

This time, I spotted him with his friends laughing around. He caught me looking at me and I waved happily but he looked away without even flashing a smile.

I looked at him bewildered.

What just happened? Did I do something wrong?

Just then, the speech ended and all the students got up. I hurriedly got up and choose to follow Varun to see what was wrong with him.

“What's wrong?” Alia asked.

“I need to talk to Varun.” I mumbled and looked at him to see he was aldready exiting the room with his friends.

I quickly followed him leaving a confused Alia behind but my mind was focused on only one person and that's Varun.

There was something strange in his behavior today.

I managed to walk faster with my heavy dress and called his name. Surprisingly, he halted in his step but didn't turn behind.

His friends looked at me and waved. I smiled at them.

“Hi, Shraddha. Looking good.” Arjun said.

“Thanks, you too.” I replied, turning my focus back to Varun who was looking ahead his face stern. Not once did he look at me making my suspicions rising up higher.

“Varun.” I called out.

He ignored me again and I hesitantly held his hand. His eyes snapped towards me and he withdrew his hand from mine.

“Don't. Touch. Me.” He said, making me gasp in shock.