14. Family

Heya Lovelies!!
First of all Happy New Year!🎉 second of all I'm so sorry for updating so late but I had a lot on my plate so I couldn't focus on this and third of all thank you so much for waiting 💜💜

Happy reading 😊
___________________________

Everyone sat at the dining table, happily chatting while Dev and Sonakshi stole glances of each other, still coming off the high of kissing each other. Ishwari cleared her throat and looked at both of them "So...?" It was not really a question because at this point everybody in their family knew that Dev and Sonakshi were together and very much in love. It was just to tease them as they both looked awkward to say the obvious.

"What so? You know the answer already." Dev said looking briefly at Sonakshi whose cheeks were red from all the attention.

"Do I? You didn't say anything to me apart from your initial resistance to settling down" Ishwari said teasingly.

"Mom!" flustered, Dev whined . His family was enjoying this new Dev, happy, childlike and open to feelings. It was not that they never teased him before or bantered like now but Dev was more reserved and stoic and sometimes even his family would walk on eggshells around him. It was just his persona- cold, but not anymore.

Everybody laughed at their expanse while Sonakshi tried controlling her smile "No but seriously what are your thoughts on marriage, we don't want you to do anything just because you're expected to do that." Bejoy said looking at his daughter who smiled gratefully at her father.

"Yeah, I agree with Mr. Bose, Dev..Sonakshi bete take all the time you need in the world we just want you to be happy" Raj said patting Dev's shoulder who looked at Sonakshi lovingly. They both knew their happiness lied in each other, they didn't need time for that, but marriage was not simply loving two people, it's a lot of change and they both thought they were not ready for it and now hearing their families, they were assured that they will support them in their decision.

"You are right we do need more time but not because we are not sure about each other but because marriage...it's just..you know it's a big deal..I mean it's a lot of change and responsibilities.." Sonakshi said exactly what she and Dev had discussed, she didn't know how to rephrase it any better because it seemed like she was shying away from her responsibilities but that's just how she felt and she couldn't help it, she didn't want anything more then to be with Dev forever but Dev understood her dilemma, it was more hard for a girl to just leave all her life behind even-though she would not do that exactly but a new home still felt like a far fetched idea even if it was with Dev.

"I'm with Sonakshi on this and also I know  I'll always be busy but there are certain things I need to take care of before we venture in this new phase of life..but we can have an engagement if.."

"Perfect then..we will have an engagement ceremony. Let me call pandit ji!" Ishwari gushed, Dev just smiled at his mother's enthusiasm, she didn't even let him finish his sentence but he and sonakshi have talked about this, they wanted to make things official but were just not ready to tie the knot, Sonakshi because she thought she was not ready to be a wife and the daughter-in-law just yet while Dev had his own reasons.

Once the Dixit name attached to Sonakshi there was no going back and Dev was somewhere afraid that she would want to do that if the threatener was in their lives. She would be fully exposed to Dev's world and she would realise just how fucked up it was and she would want nothing to do with him, so he wanted to get rid of this unknown threat before starting a new life with Sonakshi. Some may think he was being a pessimist but he was being cautious of all the things that could go wrong. He was giving her a way out but also tying her down by engagement. He could not bare the thought of her ever leaving him but the possibility was not lost on him, even right now she was here with him despite knowing about the threats, this was surreal enough for him but after looking at the lengths the threatener could go to just to send across a message, he wanted Sonakshi to just be happy and not live in fear, with or without him, but right now she was with him and that means something. He will make sure if and when Sonakshi comes to his house, she will not be haunted by the shadow of the Dixit name.

Sonakshi looked at Dev and raised her eyebrows when she found him looking at her with a fond expression and something else she couldn't pinpoint, it was conflict and fear mix with joy and love, he just shook his head and gave her his best smile, she smiled back while the families were in chaos over the engagement and discussions. They settled on a date after a month as they needed time for preparations.

"You've made me so happy Sonakshi and welcome to the family officially." Ishwari said while holding her arms.

"Thank you aunty" Sonakshi said making Ishwari frown "It's mom from now on. understood" Ishwari glared mockingly while sonakshi chuckled "Yes...m-mom."

Dev wanted to embrace her like everyone else was doing and after hearing her call his mother mom his heart skipped a beat. She was going to be a part of this family. How everyone already loved her. How she loved everyone. He thought he could not love her more but each day he finds himself falling for her more than yesterday, it's like his heart physically expands every-time he looks at her, see her smile or hear her laughter or when he listens to her thoughts- about the world or in general, always finding something new to cherish about her.

The elders were having there own discussion in the drawing room while the younger ones sat in the lawn teasing Dev and Sonakshi but mostly Dev as he'd not let Sonakshi sit away from him. His arm draped over her shoulder tucking her close to him while Virat and Anjali laughed at his possessiveness.

"Dev she will not vanish if you'll let her go for a second" Anjali said teasingly while Sonakshi just palmed her face, embarrassed.

"I know but I just want to be close to my soon to be fiancée and let me make up for the time she was away" Dev said not even a bit phased by their teasing, he missed her so no amount of teasing was capable of keeping him away from Sonakshi.

"Oh god cheesy" Sonakshi said hitting his arms making him laugh "but you like it, don't lie" Dev said only for her to hear and bopped her nose.

"I can't watch this lovey-dovey shit please I want my brother back" Virat said cringing and it was Anjali's turn to hit him "Khud to kuch karte nahi sheeko apne bhai se kuch"

"Haan bhai sheeko kuch mujhse" It was Dev's turn to tease. "Bhabhi make him sleep on the couch that will teach him a lesson"

"Right that's a good idea" Anjali said glaring at him.

"Excuse me what..hello Anjali..you're not serious right" Anjali got up without answering him winking at Dev and Sonakshi "Dev ke bachhe I'll deal with you later.. Anjali listen na baba I love you" Virat ran after her.

"Goodluck bhai" Dev shouted before laughing when he saw his brother flipping him the bird.

"You're devil" Sonakshi laughed at his mischievousness.

"but you love this devil" He said wiggling his eyebrows making her laugh even more. He looked around him making sure no one was watching and then pecked her cheek while she looked at him wide eyed, not prepared for the kiss.

"Hey you can't do that!" Sonakshi said flustered as her cheeks heated up.

"Why?" Dev asked with innocent eyes or more like fake innocent eyes as he was clearly amused at her expanse.

"Ahh! you're really the devil" Sonakshi said unable to form an argument under his smouldering gaze making him laugh.

"You'll be the death of me, so cute" He said pinching her cheeks making her pout even more before she hit him. "ouch my feisty rabbit"

They both sat there silently, Sonakshi watched the stars while he watched her "Dev I'm scared."

************************

What is Sona scared about!?
I know it was short but what do you think about the families and Devakshi's relationship I'd love to know so please do share your reviews ❤️

Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Till then
Babye!
Love ❤️