3/4

JASPER LEANED HER head on Dustin's shoulder, yawning in boredom as she continued listening to the principal's speech about Will. The Henderson boy felt warmth spread through his chest at the feeling of her head on his shoulder.

"Will Byers' death is an unimaginable tragedy," the principal's voice rang throughout the clearing. "Will was an exceptional student, and a wonderful friend to all of us. It's impossible to express the hole his loss will leave in our community."

At that Jasper continued to tune out his monotone voice, finding that playing with Dustin's fingers was much more interesting. El and Mike were both gazing around the crowd anxiously, even glancing at the redhead and the curly-haired boy from time to time. The two just smiled and gave them a tiny wave.

"Look at these fakers," Mike growled angrily to Lucas.

"They probably didn't even know his name 'till today," Lucas mumbled back.

A small laugh that came from a few feet away caused the five to all face in that direction. Troy and his idiotic friend were exchanging jokes, clearly not phased by the assembly or the principal's speech about Will. If anything, they seemed amused about it.

"Who's interested in this? This is so stupid?" Troy cackled softly. "Blah, blah, blah," he began mocking the principal, puckering his lips together. "Oh, he's gonna leave a hole in the community!"

"Hilarious," Jasper scoffed, not taking her head off its position on Dustin's shoulder. "Even if he was the last human on earth I'd still send his ass flying into the quarry," she grumbled.

Dustin struggled to contain himself, small chuckles escaping past his lips as his entire body shook with laughter.

"Mouth breather," El murmured, her dark eyes focused on Troy.

Mike glanced at her, slightly shocked. The girl met his gaze, the two staring at each other for a few moments before she looked away again.

The school bell rang a few minutes later, causing every kid to spring to their feet and hop down the bleachers. The gym crowded with children as everyone headed for the doors to go to fifth period. Dustin and Jasper walked side by side, talking quietly amongst each other.

"Hey! Hey, Troy!" Mike called out to the bully, anger plastered on his freckled face. "You think this is funny?"

Troy whirled around, annoyance spreading across his ugly face. "What'd you say, Wheeler?" he spoke intimidatingly.

"I saw you guys laughing over there," Mike pointed out. "And I think that's a real messed up thing to do."

"Didn't you listen to the counselor, Wheeler?" Troy's henchman of a friend sneered at Mike. "Grief shows itself in funny ways."

"Besides, what's there to be sad about anyway? Will's in fairyland now right?" Troy snickered. "Flying around with all the other little fairies. All happy and gay!" He spat. By now a crowd had circled around them, spectating the fight.

Jasper's hands clenched into fists, her fingernails digging into her palms. She hated his guts, and she absolutely despised the way he had used the word 'gay'. It is certainly not a word that should be used in a negative way. Not now, not ever.