4/4

JASPER'S ARMS WERE NOTHING BUT a sea of white as she continued to gaze at her bandages, her teeth raking against her lip at the pain that still shot up from her wrists when she moved them. "Fuck," Jasper cried weakly, no more tears springing from her eyes, however.

"Hey, just relax," Hopper murmured softly, placing a hand on his daughter's shoulder as he continued to drive out of the hospital parking lot. "We'll be home soon. Then you can get some rest."

"Where's El?" Jasper murmured quietly, resting her head against the cloth headrest on her seat. Her eyes fluttered upwards to stare at the full moon, watching how the trees would block her from seeing the bright white circle every now and then.

"She left with Joyce a while ago. They took her back to the cabin so she could sleep," Hopper answered, afraid of moving his hand anywhere but on her shoulder. He didn't want to cause her any more pain, and judging from the grimace she held on her face, the casts on her arms didn't completely alleviate the burning agony she felt.

"Where's Dustin?" Jasper asked next in a pleading tone. "Is everyone safe? Did we all make it out okay?"

"Dustin's waiting at your house, actually," Hopper told her, a small emotional smile pressed against his lips. "He's gonna be staying with you tonight. Isn't that cool?"

"Hop," Jasper pressed, turning her head from the window to face her father. "Is everyone safe?"

"Yeah, everyone is okay," Hopper nodded, suddenly letting out a manly sob. "Dammit, Jasper. I thought you were a goner back there."

And in the darkness of that car, which was only illuminated by the pale moonlight, Hopper saw his favorite thing in the whole word. Something he loved seeing, especially since it happened so often despite all the horrible things in the world: Jasper's smile.

The redhead's lips curved upwards, a certain joy beaming in her eyes. "Nah, I'm invincible. Haven't you heard? Nothing can kill me," she retorted, and something about the way she made a joke despite her pain caused Hopper to lift her hand to his lips as he placed an affectionate kiss on her knuckles.

"I love you so much, Jasper," he cried, growing more emotional than he had felt in his entire life. He had almost witnessed another daughter leave him, and that fear was enough to handle for one night. "Don't you ever stop smiling like that, you hear me?"

"Oh, you big sap," Jasper giggled, her arm slowly moving upwards as she landed a soft punch on his shoulder. "Stop it before I start crying again."

"You were so strong today, you know that?" Hopper grinned, his mustache dancing on top of his lips. "I can't believe how brave you are. You and El both. What I saw today...I'll never forget it. I'm so proud of you."

Jasper didn't respond at first, reminiscing on the way her heart was filled with happiness and love for her father. "Thank you, Hop. For everything. For coming into my life at the right time. For staying. For believing in me."

"Always," he simply replied, and the father and daughter held hands the entire car ride back home.

~

"Dustin, will you relax?" Ruby demanded restlessly, leaning against the doorframe of Jasper's bedroom. The brunette had tied her hair up, massive purple bags hanging underneath her eyes. "It may be hours until she's back from the hospital. Why don't you get some sleep...so I can get some sleep?"