1/4

DUSTIN RESTED HIS head on Jasper's shoulder, the two laying together on Mike's couch. The redhead reached up and began casually running her fingers through Dustin's soft curls. "I'm scared, Dusty," Jasper admitted.

The Henderson boy sat up, gazing into her blue eyes intently. Even the seemingly fearless redhead of the party was afraid of something. "Scared of what, Jas?"

"What's gonna happen to me," she admitted sadly, gazing at her hands resting in her lap. "All this about my mom, Hawkins, my new powers," she shook her head. "This could all get me killed."

"Stop it," Dustin scolded her lightly. "Stop saying that. Nothing is going to happen to you. I'm not gonna lose you. It would tear me apart if I did."

Jasper smiled sweetly at him, licking her slightly chapped lips. Her eyes averted down to the boy's plump lips, but only for a single moment. She met his eyes again, chuckling. "I mean it when I say I would've thrown Troy off the cliff today if he hurt you."

"Oh, I believe it," Dustin leaned back, letting out a small giggle. "You were a total badass back there. Honestly, after that, I don't think Troy or his idiotic friend will mess with us again."

"God, I still can't believe he held you at knifepoint," Jasper scoffed, shaking her head. "What a fucking idiot."

Dustin exhaled deeply, gazing at the redhead who refused to look at him. Slowly, he slid his hand into hers, their fingers interlocking. She finally looked at her best friend, a feeling of warmth spreading through her chest.

Their sweet moment was interrupted by the crackling static of Mike's super-com. Lucas's voice was on the other end, panic emitting from his words. "Dustin," Jasper jerked up, racing to the table and grabbing the super-com.

"Lucas!" Jasper exclaimed, extending the antenna as far it would go. "Lucas, can you hear me?"

Dustin dashed over to the bathroom, barging inside. "Guys," he breathed, looking at Mike and Eleven urgently. "It's Lucas. I think he's in trouble."

Mike and Eleven followed the Henderson boy to the table. Jasper began turning the small knobs on the device, attempting to get a clearer audio from Lucas. He was erupting into fits of screams, his words hard to understand.

"What's he saying?" Mike glanced at Jasper and Dustin, who were both cradling the super-com in their hands.

"I don't know, he's way out of range," Dustin replied. The two boys began struggling to get Lucas to calm down, speaking over one another to the Sinclair boy.

Annoyed, Jasper snatched the super-com from both boys, holding it close to her lips. "Lucas," she sighed, eyeing the ceiling. "Please calm down. And slow down, we can't understand you."

"Yes, I copy! Do you? They know about Eleven! Get out of there! They know about Eleven!" He screamed at his friends, though his other words became unclear again.

"Mad hen, does that mean anything to you?" Dustin looked expectantly at Jasper and Mike. "Like a code name or something?"

Jasper tilted her head, continuing to listen to the radio. "...Dad...pen?"

"Bad men," Mike gasped, looking at the two of them. "Bad men!" He averted his eyes to El, holding out a hand to settle her nerves. "Stay here."