2/3

EVERYONE STOOD IN solitude the next morning, listening to the priest ramble a prayer over Will's fake body. Jasper and Dustin stood next to each other, discreetly poking each other as a part of their game. The two had to poke each other without getting caught by anyone.

Dustin's sky blue eyes peeled away from Jasper, a smile creeping onto his face as something else caught his attention. He lightly prodded Jasper and the boys' shoulders, nodding his chin towards a blonde-headed girl.

Jasper recognized the pale-skinned blondie from school: Jennifer Hayes. The girl was trying to be subtle about it, but the four could see tears streaming down her milky face.

"Just wait 'til we tell Will that Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral," Dustin whispered to them with a playful smirk. The others were smiling too, gazing at the crying girl in amusement.

"Shh," Karen Wheeler leaned forward, hushing the Henderson boy. The smirk was immediately wiped off Dustin's face with a more serious, somber look.

Shortly after the priest's prayer, everyone began throwing flowers on top of the wooden casket. Jasper couldn't help but avert her eyes to Joyce Byers, who was standing in solitude. She had an unreadable expression on her face, one mixed with anger and defiance.

"C'mon, Jasper," Dustin tugged at the redhead's coat sleeve. "I'm starving...and cold," he whined, his bottom lip sticking out in a pout.

"You don't have to wait for me," Jasper scoffed, playfully rolling her eyes. "I wanted to mourn over my friend's fake dead body for a bit longer," she mumbled sarcastically.

"I wait for you because you're my best friend," Dustin pointed out, raising his eyebrows. "You know, it's—"

"Yeah yeah," Jasper interrupted him, chuckling as she shoved her frozen hands into her pockets. "It's our code, I know. But it's not like it would be hard to find you. You'd be standing right at the snacks table the whole time," she teased.

"Guys," Mike ran up to them, Lucas at his heels. "We need to talk to Mr. Clarke," he reminded them.

"Lead the way, Wheeler," Jasper nodded, following the others into the small reception. It didn't take long to find their science teacher camping out by the food table.

"Mr. Clarke?" Mike piped up, gaining the attention of their science teacher.

He turned away from placing food on his table, a small smile on his face when he saw them. "Oh, hey there," he greeted them in a gentle voice.

Dustin eagerly grabbed a handful of Nilla Wafers from the table, munching on them thoughtfully.

"How you guys holding up?" He asked them kindly.

"We're...in...mourning," Lucas answered awkwardly, glancing down at his shoes in attempts to look sad.

"Man, these aren't real nilla wafers," Dustin muttered with a mouthful of crumbs. Disappointment coated his voice as he gazed at the snacks. Jasper slyly took one from his hand, popping it in her mouth. She gave him a small nod of agreement at the slightly stale taste.

Mike and Lucas turned their heads towards the two lovers, narrowing their eyes at them. Leave it to the two of them to foil their "act depressed" plan. Jasper continued stealing Dustin's Nilla Wafers, unbothered.