Chapter Five: Small Get-Together

Kevin and I were outside sitting on one of the benches attached to the football field when we saw Harry and Peter in the distance leaning against a wall talking, Harry with a cigarette between his fingers.

"Damn those two are becoming inseparable." Kevin commented.

I couldn't help but stare at Peter. "Yeah, apparently."

"Guy troubles?" Kevin asked suddenly and I whipped my head to face him.

"Why would you think that?" I asked, hoping my voice sounded neutral and calm.

"I don't know. You keep glancing up and looking in the same two directions. I'm guessing it either has to do with Hazelnut or Pale Fingers." Kevin snickered.

"You mean brown." I said quickly without thinking.

"Huh?" Kevin was waiting for an answer so I cleared my throat.

"Ummm... Peter's hair isn't hazel, it's brown." My voice was quiet in my embarrassment.

Kevin raised an eyebrow and smirked, making me scowl.

"Don't." I said angrily.

Kevin raised his hands in surrender. "Hey, I didn't say anything."

"Yeah, well let's keep it that way, shall we?" I mumbled. I realized Kevin didn't deserve my hostility but I was embarrassed, to be honest.

"What's Peter's deal anyway? Why does he always look like he's one sigh away from kicking a rock around?" Kevin asked with amusement and I shrugged my shoulders in response. "Honestly it's kinda appealing. Don't you agree?" His tone clearly indicating that he saw right through me. This was both a relief and unnerving.

I shook my head in denial. "He's a total smart-ass. Not my type." It wasn't a total lie though maybe not the complete truth either.

Cheryl and her friends appeared from behind the school building and made their way to the corner where Harry and Peter were standing. Cheryl greeted them both and said something that made Peter smile uncomfortably and look at the floor. Cheryl's movements and gestures were very polished and she knew exactly what she was doing.

I looked up at Peter for a second, and to my surprise, he was now looking directly in our direction too. I glanced away quickly, ashamed that I got caught. I realized I was staring too much yet again so I averted my gaze to Kevin and tried to focus on something else. We changed the topic of conversation but for some reason, my mind still wasn't there.

*

"Betty..." I heard a soft voice behind me, breaking the silence that existed before. I knew that voice somewhere and I was almost scared to turn around, not knowing what to expect.

I slowly turned to face the voice and my eyes narrowed as I looked out onto the field of sunflowers. Peter was there, standing right in the middle of the beautiful scenery, smiling calmly and taking in the sunny breeze. His brown eyes were boring into mine, almost inviting me to approach him. I was frozen in my place, unsure of what to do.

Without breaking eye contact he began to walk in my direction as the field of sunflowers magically built a solid path on the ground and guided him to me. Each step Peter took was measured and slow as he came towards me and each second he got closer my body felt heavier, a sensation I couldn't process.

In what seemed like an eternity he was finally in front of me, providing a small bit of shade and giving me a better look at his face. My eyes slowly scanned over his skin and lips. There were so many things I wanted to ask him at this moment: where were we? What was he doing here? Why did he call me?