Chapter Twenty-One: New York in January

Betty's POV

We arrived to Queens at about two in the afternoon and checked into the hotel, Comfort Inn, for one night. Room 172 was attributed to us and we wasted no time going up the elevator, though it seemed to go on forever.

It wasn't easy but I managed to convince my mom and pretty much everybody else that Peter and I were here to visit the American Museum of Natural History and that this trip could actually come in handy for a few school subjects we have in the future.

Veronica didn't buy it, and neither did Archie but I knew they weren't going to ruin our cover. They just thought we needed some time alone and it's needless to say Veronica was very pleased and approved of our decision 120%.

The room attributed to us was small and simple yet sophisticated. We had a king-sized bed that consisted of a frame made of light cedar wood with a large decorated headboard. The view... The view was absolutely breathtaking, like a pair of framed paintings of a winter scene. The city was so vibrant, so electric, and alive that for a moment I was hypnotized by the movement and the continuity of it all.

Peter wrapped his arms around me and nuzzled my neck and I was certain he could sense my pulse racing. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" He whispered into my ear. Peter didn't use that word often, 'beautiful', and I had to agree.

We reluctantly broke away from each other and I sat on the bed to watch him put on his Spider-Man suit under his clothes. It was so surreal, to be here, to know who Peter is and what he was about to do next... In Riverdale it seemed like an inaccessible reality.

Watching Peter put on the suit was like watching a canvas being painted in two seconds. He clearly hadn't lost the habit of squeezing the fabric into all the right places with precision and mastery to his every move.

"I need to go." Peter informed me softly as he zipped up his thick jacket and placed his beanie over his head and ears. He couldn't wait another minute. He picked up his backpack and checked if every needed content was inside while he looked confident and ready to face any obstacle.

"Please, be careful. I'll be waiting here for you." I sent him a smile though I'll admit I was anxious.

"It'll be fine." Looking down at me, Peter grabbed my face and kissed me passionately. It was tender yet demanding, but most of all it was a promise that he'd be back soon. He made sure.

Peter left the room and I stood by the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of him as he walked out of the hotel building. I finally saw him turning right as he walked in the direction of a tall building. I didn't leave the window yet as I was hoping to see him in action.

Ten minutes must've passed when I heard a familiar voice screaming outside. It wasn't just any scream, it was a happy scream. I came closer to the window and smiled when I saw Peter... Scratch that... Spider-Man swinging from building to building, with such ease and freedom that tears immediately began to form in my eyes. Dammit, I will cry over anything, won't I?

Spider-Man swung gracefully around the huge buildings and vanished just as fast, like a feather in the wind. When I didn't see him again I thought he swang further into the south, finally disappearing but suddenly there was a violent knock on the window.

I looked up and gasped at the sight of Spider-Man glued to the top of the glass, sending me a casual wave as if standing there was the easiest thing in the world. We couldn't hear each other so I waved back and that's when he finally swang to another building in the distance and vanished from my line of sight.

A small crowd was forming outside, applauding and cheering the fact that Spider-Man was back. Peter wasn't looking for fame, he was looking for trouble so he disappeared rather quickly, leaving the crowd with high expectations before they dispersed and moved on with their lives.