Chapter Fifteen: Under My Umbrella

Peter and I walked to gym together before separating to our respective change rooms. We started basketball today and within a span of twenty minutes I managed to fall twice and jam my finger. Finally the teacher thought it was best for my safety and my classmates' safety that I referee instead.

As I walked to the side Peter grinned and walked past me before leaning in causing my breath to hitch. "Look on the bright side at least you get to use the whistle."

I rolled my eyes but grinned as he ran off to rejoin the game. He really was a sight to behold and made my job really difficult since I found myself staring at him more than the actual game. At lunch, he couldn't join us since his aunt wanted both Veronica and him to have lunch together, which meant I was left to eat with Harry, Archie, and Kevin.

After class, when we got to my house, I had no idea what Veronica's plan was but I started studying. She laid down on my bed and turned her laptop on, whispering the lyrics to Havana. She must've heard that song about six times in a row and it was starting to truly get on my nerves. When I was done with Calculus homework I gave her a glare and reached out for my water bottle.

"So how long have you and Peter been going at it?" She asked suddenly. I spit out my water and started choking on it while I looked at her. Her face was amused and she didn't look remotely embarrassed asking such a thing. She was definitely not one to mince words that's for sure.

After I was able to breathe again I spoke. "Veronica!"

She raised a delicate eyebrow at me. "Veronica what? You're gonna act all innocent after that scene I encountered you in?"

I groaned and slammed my head against the desk.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of. To be honest I didn't know Peter had it in him." She shook her head and took another sip of her drink. "By the way, I'm sorry I interrupted."

"Yeah, me too." I grumbled quietly but apparently not quiet enough because she laughed loudly. It wasn't a delicate fake laugh but one that came from deep in her belly. Veronica wasn't fake nor did she pretend to be something she wasn't and I respected that.

"I need to get you to release your inner vixen. Between me and Kevin, you'll have that boy on his knees worshiping the ground you walk on in no time." She winked and I rolled my eyes though I was nervous about what she meant about releasing my inner vixen and what it would entail.

After we got something to eat downstairs she immediately sat me down on my bed and started pulling apart my hair.

"What are you doing?" I actually liked my ponytail today and she ruined it.

"Betty Betty Betty, you cannot show up to the party in a new outfit but the same hairstyle. Have you learned nothing!? Wait, don't say anything I already know the answer." I rolled my eyes. My fashion sense was fine I just didn't have a OCD obsession with it like someone I know.

The Riverdale Bulldogs had won their most important game yet so Archie decided to throw a party in his basement later tonight. The entire senior class wasn't invited since there would be no room but still, a great deal of them were coming.

"Don't worry I'm just going to set your waves free." She squinted at my hair for a second in concentration.

"We should go Veronica, people are arriving and I see Peter's bike there." I told her. She nodded her head in agreement and grabbed her bag before departing my room.

We met my parents at the bottom of the stairs and wished them a good night and that I would be back later. I couldn't help but laugh when my mother said be careful, seriously I was next door.