Chapter Twelve: Where Is It?

Peter's POV (Present)

It only took me a fraction of a second for me to recognize the notebook mixed up in my books as Betty's. I had seen her with this pink notebook so many times, writing in it when she thought no one was looking. It was practically an extra limb.

When she had it out she often looked like she was in her own world and other times she looked so analytical. I had tried to get her to show it to me twice already but both times I was met with resistance. I knew she would have never left it intentionally so it must have gotten mixed up in our things after the presentation.

I turned it over in my hands a few times debating with myself. The right thing to do would be to get on my bike, ring her bell and give it back. I knew she was protective of this notebook and I doubted anyone had ever seen what was inside it but her. I would probably even get some respect points if I did return it.

Even though I knew that course of action was the right thing to do, my curiosity was growing by the second. Betty was such an enigma to me. I lost count of how many times I would be staring at her wondering what was going on in that mind of hers. I was positive that this notebook could provide me with a possible doorway into her mind and all the questions I had.

There was also something familiar about it, almost a pull that compelled me to open it. I knew she was extremely curious and liked to investigate things and events deeply, so I wondered if she had written anything about the Roof-Crawler or Spider-Man.

Sickened with every step I took, I ran up the stairs before going inside the apartment, the notebook tucked safely under my arm.

"Hey, how was the presentation?" May asked as soon as she heard the door.

"It was good. I'll meet you in a sec!" I shouted without looking for her. I wanted to be in my room as fast as possible.

"Dinner is almost ready!" I heard her say before I quietly locked the door behind me and placed all of the books and materials on the bed. I sat down at my desk, staring at the notebook for a minute as if it was threatening to jump on my face.

I knew this was wrong. She clearly wanted this kept private yet I felt drawn to open it. I promised myself only one quick peek and would not read on if it was terribly personal. I shook my head in disgust at my sorry attempts at rationalizing and defending my actions. I was a horrible person yet even this realization didn't stop me.

I slowly opened it like it was the most precious thing in the world, as if it would fall apart in my hands if I gripped it too tightly. When I reached the front page I was greeted by a quote. "One summer can change everything." I ran my fingers over the depressions her pen made, trying to make sense of those words. It was a peculiar quote to start off the notebook with and I wondered why she chose it. Once again, I was met with more questions.

Sighing, I continued onto the next page and began to read. It was definitely too personal so I skipped them. My fingers landed on the recent pages and my eyes widened with every word I read, my heart taking on an uneven rhythm... I didn't stop reading until late into the night and when I did only one word fell from my lips.

"Betty."

*

Betty's POV | The Next Day

"Where is it? Where is it? Where the hell is it?!" I chanted loudly to no one as I ruffled through my bed sheets for what had to be the fifth time. When I realized they weren't hiding anything, again, I ran to my backpack and started rummaging through it again, going so far as to tip all my books out and open them individually.