Chapter Eight: Halloween Dance

I awoke with a start, my eyes darting around my car resting on the thin ray of light that was filtering against Peter's skin. He was now facing me, eyes closed, mouth slightly half opened. I tried not to move as I was just trying to calm my rapidly beating heart at this point; I didn't expect to wake up to Peter's face four inches away from mine.

He was sleeping peacefully and I couldn't help staring at his lips as they contracted small subtle moves. Without making a noise I rubbed my hand in my eyes a few times trying to wake up completely. The other hand was resting against Peter's. Once again I couldn't decide which emotion I felt more strongly: annoyance or contentment. A small smile crossed my face and the lines on my forehead eased for some reason as I watched him.

Though I tried to rub off some of my makeup last night I was too lazy to use a wipe. As I slowly glanced in the rearview mirror I saw the smudging of mascara and my ponytail sticking up at an odd angle due to the weird position I had fallen asleep in.

I carefully moved to the passenger seat and started the car and the heater as I heard Peter rubbing his eyes in the back. After I put on my gloves I jumped out of my seat and began removing the thin layer of ice glued to the windows, starting with Peter's door so he would get out and help me.

The sun was shining weakly and the parking lot wasn't as crowded as yesterday. There was clear evidence of the storm's passage but thankfully the sky was now clear and there were no police cars around.

"Were you electrified?" Peter asked as he got out of my car, his voice lower than usual.

I stopped wiping the windows to look at him. "What?"

"Your hair." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes and continued to clean the windows with Peter joining me a few yawns later. I drove to his place very slowly, unaware of the time and taking multiple wrong turns on the way due to my morning disorientation. Peter didn't complain and was honestly quite patient with me. Maybe he wasn't fully awake yet or something.

I stopped near his building and he grabbed his backpack before closing the door behind him. He looked at me hesitantly for a moment before speaking. "Thanks, Betty."

I didn't understand what he meant by that so I just nodded my head. Thanks for what, the ride? That was not something worth thanking for. We were stuck for hours.

"Don't forget your homework. You must be so excited." I teased and Peter laughed softly before waving me goodbye. There was something incredibly satisfying about making Peter laugh and I wasn't even sure why but I found myself smiling like an idiot the whole drive home.

*

I padded across the stairs straight into my bathroom for a much-needed shower. The hot water felt so nice, the smell of my coconut shampoo comforting and familiar. I scrubbed my face meticulously and was pleased when I removed the old makeup.

I dressed simply as there was no point in putting much effort on a Saturday. I wasn't going anywhere, except at night. I was still a little tired after last night so when I walked into the kitchen I indulged in some coffee from the pot my parents made. After quickly heating up some cookies I took my place at the table across from them.

"Long night, Betty?" My dad asked, chuckling while he eyed the coffee.

"Yeah, it was pretty boring. I just got some food and fell asleep in the backseat." I half lied. I didn't mind spending that time with Peter. At all.

"Once again the incompetence of the authority figures in this town...Unbelievable." Mom shook her head. "They should have meticulous measures for these kinds of situations."