Chapter 6 - Thanksgiving

A couple day later I head to Joe's.

"Emily, I haven't seen you since the train-wreck what happened did your doctor McDreamy pick you or his wife?" Joe asks.
"His beautiful bitchy wife," I let out a sigh.
"He doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't deserve someone like you. You're perfect even when your drunk. With your bright green eyes and brown flowy hair. Sorry I went a bit far I just don't know how any straight guy wouldn't keep you instead of his wife," Joe says.
"It's ok, Joe. You're just trying to lift me up when I need to be lifted. You're a good friend and besides have you seen her she's beautiful," I state.
"Look at her," I say as I pull a picture of her.

I show him the picture.

"She cleans up nicely but that's not her every day," Joe states.
"But look at her normal everyday self," I say as I scroll through my pictures to find a normal picture of her. I show him the picture
"Ok I'm trying to help you here but you keep adding on to the work. Yes she is beautiful but have you looked yourself in the mirror Emily, you're beautiful maybe even more beautiful than Addison but he choose her and he made a stupid choice in my opinion and you deserve better now," Joe says.
"Thanks, Joe you're the best bartender friend I have," I declare.
"The usual tequila?"
"No, I'm going to mix it up and go for a glass of red wine."

I drink my glass as my intern friends arrives at the bar after their shifts.

"Emily you're so lucky you got a shift that let you leave early, I got thrown up on four times by this drunk guy," Meredith states clearly annoyed.
"Yeah I had a guy who's flesh was burning it smelt terrible," George says finally talking to me again.
"George, are you talking to me now?" I ask while I eat some peanuts Joe gave me.
"Yeah in the spirit of the holidays coming up and us being family I decided to stop freaking out about it and punishing you about because you didn't know about it either," George said in good spirits.
"Are you going to tell your dad?" I ask.
"He's our dad and maybe on Thanksgiving, we have this Thanksgiving tradition with just us guys and I'll tell him then." 
"Hey, I have a question though if you're a few years older then me why are you in this intern year?" George asks curiously while everybody else shakes their head in agreement minus Mer.
"Well Mer already knows but Meredith and I are two years apart in school and she was dead set on being a surgeon from the start. I myself wanted to be a school teacher until the end of our first year of college that's when I got into an accident and was really badly injured. My mom was here in Seattle because she had just gotten rehired at Seattle Grace, she had been gone since the end of her residency when we moved to Boston to get away from the past I believe-" I say looking at George.
"Wow!" Everyone commented
"Yeah well my Aunt Ellis and Mer were the only family I had on the east coast and like I said I was really badly injured and Mer was by my bedside as much as she could, this experience made me realize that Mer would be an incredible doctor and that I don't want to be a teacher I want to be a surgeon like my mother but hopefully better as a person," I continue.
"Emily was in a coma for a week that was the only time in my life I was that afraid which says something because I'm hardcore," Mer states.
"Yeah, and I have no recollection of that week but that's what I think made me have that realization," I comment.
"Ok, I think we all have the question of why you and Mer started her freshman year of college the basically the same year ?" Izzie says speaking for all the other interns.
"Well I graduated at a Sophomore age, I got to do all my senior activities basically as a sophomore. All my friends were seniors and all my actual classmates hated me because I was extremely smart and popular with the seniors so when I had the opportunity of entering high school as a junior and graduate with all my friends I took it in a heartbeat. I was able to go on my senior trip, I got to walk during graduation and I went to prom like 4 or 5 times because I had friends from other schools that took me and my guy friend who became my boyfriend took me to prom. Do remember him Mer?"
"Yeah it was Baine Johnson, he was your first kiss and who you lost your virginity to right?" Mer responds.
"Yep!" I say enthusiastically.
"Wait is he named after the president Lyndon Baines Johnson?" Cristina asks.
"Yep, he told me his parents loved LBJ as a president and decided when they have a boy they would name him Baine and because he has three older sisters he was the unlucky one," I state.
"Why did you guys break up?" George asks.
"George!" Izzie scolds him.
"It's ok Izzie, So I got accepted into Emerson College in Boston when I still wanted to be a teacher and they have a decent teaching program and he wanted to do something with journalism and sports so we went there together until I was going to med school and he was starting his career which took a toll on our relationship, also the fact I got accepted into Harvard Med and he wanted to live in LA and start his career writing for UCLA . It was a huge deal at the time because we were together for 6 1/2 years but I'm over it now. Sometimes when I'm bored I look him up and last time I checked he's doing good has a new girl and I think they're engaged and about to be married and he's a writer for the Lakers now which was his dream and I'm here finally out of med school and I'm a surgeon, YAY!" I proclaim looking a bit sad.
"Emily, it's alright you have a new life here in Seattle and you'll become a world renown surgeon and he'll rue the day he left the greatest person in the world," George reassures me.
"You're just saying that because you're my brother but I'm choosing to believe you."
"Ok, you guys haven't explained why you're in the same intern year, Mer should be a year ahead," Izzie states.
"Oh that's easy Mer went backpacking in Europe while I started college and we both had most of our gen Eds done because the school we went to happened to be a stickler with running start classes so we actually started the classes required to go to med school at the same time. Though I slacked for a year after the accident I would have been a second-year resident but I'm happy I'm an intern with you guys. And for Mer, she just went to Dartmouth College all 8 years and partied a little too hard," I answer.
"Hey, I'm responsible now that's all that matters," Mer says clearly offended.
"It's the cold hard truth," I say as I down the rest of my wine.
"Joe, can I have one more glass please?" I ask.
"Same here," the rest of the group agrees.