Chapter 13 - Father's day!

I have a busy week before the two-week vacation that is coming. Deciding to go on a vacation with Meredith, Cristina, and Shylee for two weeks seemed to be a perfect way to end the hectic intern year that we have experienced. We are all headed down near Santa Cruz to relax and have fun. I can only imagine, what will happen when the four of us are not operating for two weeks, being out in the real world, with the three other most ambitious and surgery hungry interns in our class. It should be fun.

"Hey Emily, dad was wondering if you wanted to have dinner sometime this weekend it's Father's Day weekend," George states.
"Oh I would love to I always say I need to spend time with him but never end up able to."
"I'll tell him when I call later," George smiles.
"Ok, and can I have the number?"
"Yeah, you want me to put it in your phone's contacts?" George asks.
"Yeah, that sounds great!"
"There you go," George says handing my phone back.
"Thanks!" I say as I hug George.

I look down to see it's a home phone number similar to the frat houses. I smile at George as I walk off towards the coffee cart to grab a coffee for myself since my shift was heading towards the 20th hour and I still have another 12 hours left of being in the hospital. Mark had today off and it was going to be a long day. I'm on Addison's service for the rest of the month and until she goes on maternity leave in July which should be interesting, to say the least, seeing as Addison is 33 weeks and clearly waddling already. She was off for a week next week during one of my two weeks of vacation but besides that, Addison wasn't planning on going on leave until the very last minute around 39 weeks that is unless she gives birth prior. I will definitely be attending to a very pregnant OB/GYN surgeon until then, I'm expecting nothing less than an adventure.

"Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd?"
"Ah, Dr. Gordon I was just searching for you," Addie states.
"I was just headed to rounds, is everything ok?"
"Everything's fine we just have a consult in the pit," Addie sighs contently.
"I didn't get the page," I say with a concerned face.
"Don't worry about it Emily, it was probably a mixup."
"Ok, did the page say which exam room or where the patient was?"
"They're 15 minutes out from Mercy West, calm down and take your time, I'm fine, my babies fine and the patient is fine as of right now, it's a rare case and no one will touch it except me," Addie smiles as she explains the situation to me.
"Do you need anything before we go down to the pit?"
"Yes!! Derek is at the trailer right now about to leave and he has Abbie call him and ask him if he can bring me a berry smoothie or a chocolate shake from the little café around the corner from the hospital and tell him that I can't because I have a patient on the way and if he still won't remind him that we're still married if he likes it or not."
"Ok, will do if that's everything," I say awkwardly as Addison hands me her phone.
"Yes, see you down in the pit in 10 minutes."
"Here we go."

I sigh and take a minute to collect my thoughts before calling Derek.

"Shepherd!" Derek announces.
"Hey, Derek it's me, Emily," I state.
"Why do you have Addie's phone?"
"I'm on her service until she gives birth."
"For seven weeks that's a long time, with her."
"Two-week vacation next week, for interns, so only about a month."
"Who is it," a somewhat familiar female voice rang in the background.
"It's Addison's intern calling me to get her a berry smoothie right?"
"Yes, she desperately wants one, we have a consult in route they're 15 minutes out and she would like it sooner rather than later, where are you?"
"Tell Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd, I'm getting her smoothie and I'll be there in about a half an hour after I drop off our daughter at the daycare," Derek speaks harshly.
"You don't have to be that harsh with the interns, Derek," the female voice chimes in.
"I'm not, I'm just getting annoyed by my wife's demands," Derek argues back.
"Derek, Addie also stated something about a chocolate shake, which she made sound really good, but she seems desperate about the smoothie and desperately wants it from our favorite café around the corner of the hospital."
"I know the place and I'll be sure to get her that shake as well, thank you, Dr. Gordon."
"You're welcome Dr. Shepherd, just page me when you get here, Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd will appreciate it."
"Dr. Gordon, Wait isn't that the slutty intern, Derek..." I hear the female state as the other line goes dead.
"Oh, great one of his sisters are here."