Dinner, Talk and Promises

Larry held the door open, allowing Sarah first entry into the apartment before closing the door behind him as he stepped foot inside, removing his scarf. Luckily, the place Larry used to rent the first time he stayed at Boston was on the market again and took to buying it straight away.

"You've already finished unpacking?" Sarah voiced, speaking with disappointment, seeing everything that was originally in boxes now out and given it's own place. she was looking forward to doing that!
"Yeah," Larry answered, a smile forming, "I kinda thought after a long day of work at the office that you would just love to relax in a homely apartment rather than fish through some boxes! I got dinner sorted too!" He gently removed the long heavy coat off Sarah's thin shoulders, placing it along with his own onto the coat hanger. "Oh you are quite the gentleman aren't you?" Sarah teased as Larry escorted her to the couch, "and you cooked?"

Larry chuckled softly, sitting down by Sarah, "well I didn't have the time to cook and unpack! So I ordered a takeaway - Chinese."

"Well," Sarah leaned back against the array of cushions, content. She had everything she needed and all was going great for her. She had a job, a brilliant place and most of all she had Larry to look after her, "Chinese food sounds good right about now!"

"That's great, because it should be here any moment now," Larry checked his watch, he always liked to treat Sarah, she was quite special to him, he had known her for such a long time, longer than most women in his life. At that moment the doorbell rung and Larry raised himself up, looking at Sarah curiously, pretending to be shocked, "would you look at that? Right on time," he went to answer the door, unable to resist teasing the woman, "I just keep getting better and better!"

"Don't kid yourself!" Sarah joked, two could play at that game and Larry made no effort to stop her. "So, what? Don't you want the food now? It sure smells real good!" To add to the effect he opened bag, letting the food scent waft through the air, inhaling the delicious smell, "one can only imagine how it tastes like!"

"You're such a goof!" She laughed, jumping up from the couch, "That's one of the best things about you!"

---------

"So, anything happen on your first day? " Larry questioned, digging a fork into his bowl of noodles, leaning over the countertop in the middle of the kitchen and next to Sarah.

"It had it's awkward moments!" Sarah confessed, taking a bite of her meal, "everyone just went a bit strange when they found out what my surname is! Well they would though wouldn't they?" She slowly glanced up to Larry, "especially Ally."

Larry took a deep breath, not expecting her to bring up the subject, let alone mention Ally's name. He didn't like talking about his regrets of the past, it was up there with his dislike of goodbyes. "I guess she has a right, I mean you did leave her!"

"I didn't leave her! She dumped me, what else was I meant to do?" Larry furrowed his eyebrows, challenging Sarah to come up with an alternative. When he left three years ago, he did so because back then it felt like he never had a choice, "and you know why I left Boston."

"But she doesn't," Sarah whispered, "anyway, they er.. Saw the wedding ring," she shrugged, recalling the conversation with Ling earlier that day. "So, what about you? Have any new clients yet?" She was rather interested in Larry's work, seeing as he was a self employed lawyer who had quite a bit of success.

"I have actually," Larry remembered, more than relieved at the change of subject, "the defendant has been summoned for a case of unfair dismissal. The plaintiff denies all accusations that were the basis of her being fired."

"Oh that's funny," Sarah smirked, she couldn't help but recognise the similarities between their two cases, "I'm dealing with something very similar!"

"James and Gordon?" Larry was referring to the name of the case. He had a habit of speaking in sentences that weren't too lengthy but the words he chose and the tone were always so effective.

"Y-yes!" Sarah stammered, surprised to find who she was going up against, "you have Jude Gordon?"

"Uh-huh," Larry nodded, removing his glasses with a inquisitive look in his eye, "you have quite a challenge there, have you read the files?"

"Course I have!" She wasn't a fool, what kind of lawyer didn't read the file? "She has a valid complaint!"

"Really? Valid complaint?" Larry rested his chin on his palm, his elbow planted on the countertop, "Gordon's witnesses are all one hundred percent reliable but Etta? Your clients witness? She hasn't worked at the school for nearly a year."

Sarah nearly dropped her fork at this revelation, "she left out that tiny detail," she said wide eyed. Larry laughed, biting his bottom lip a little this was going to be a cinch for him - it was working so far in his favour!

"No, no, no!" Sarah raised a finger, pointing it at Larry, she knew that look and she wasn't going to go down without a fight. "I know what you're doing, and let me tell you mister I'm not gonna let you walk all over me. This case? I'm going to win it."

"Can't say I don't enjoy a challenge," Larry stood up as the two playfully confronted each other, "I look forward to it."

"See you in court Larry Paul," Sarah held out her hand with a grin.

"In court, Sarah Paul," Larry nodded back, a smug look expressed on his face.

"Promise me one thing," Sarah added, her tone softer and her hand still in Larry's.

"Sure, what?" Larry replied even softer, he was the most wonderful person in Sarah's life.

"Promise me you won't leave me, like you did to Jaimie and Ally," her grip tightened on his hand as Larry clasped his other hand it.

"I couldn't leave you even if I tried," he smiled, it was such a gentle and heartfelt smile and his big brown eyes were so warm, "and you're different to those lot, you know that!"

"Yeah that may be!" Sarah laughed softly, letting her hands go, "but I still have feelings, I mean I am a girl!"

"The most amazing, strongest girl in the world," Larry pointed out, declaring loudly as if he believed it to be true, "and the bravest too!"

"Well I learnt from the best!" Sarah brushed her hair from her face and returned to her food. Of she was referring to Larry! She enjoyed living with him so much, he always knew what to say and when to say it and was always there for her whenever she needed him. His life had been quite an eventful journey what with him having a son with a woman called Jaimie and then marrying somebody else only to end up getting a divorce. Larry had lived in different states and always on the move - not to mention he had a heavy workload being a lawyer and all. But he always managed to set time aside and never let Sarah, who he called his 'number one girl' down.

(( authors note: hey everyone! I hope you are all enjoying this story so far and thank you for all the wonderful feedback on the previous chapters I hope that this story will live up to your expectations!

Larry is so awesome (my favourite character of the story!!) and that's why I really liked writing this chapter. (Not mention that my favourite actor played him in the tv show))

Larry and Sarah are going to against each other in this court case- I wonder that's going to turn out like!

Hopefully this instalment has given you an idea as to who Sarah is to Larry but don't worry I will reveal it in the next chapter.
What do you guys think of this chapter? I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Please don't forget to comment!

Thank you!))