The last three years

Ally braced herself for the worst as Sarah began her explanation. There was a part in Ally's mind that was questioning why she was allowing Sarah to speak let alone welcome her into the apartment. This woman was the wife of a man who Ally was in love with completely and once thought, or rather, believed she and Larry were destined to spend the rest of their lives together. But the very presence of Sarah in Larry's life destroyed the entire dream. But being the kind of person she was, Ally had decided to give Sarah a chance, she didn't even know her enough to hate her. The way Ally saw it was that she and Sarah were in the same boat, two innocent women caught up in the whole thing. Except one of them had ended up with Larry and married. Ally was a far way away from even thinking about becoming friends with Sarah, she just could not help but picture Larry and Sarah together living in a happily ever after ending that she had wished for herself for so long. But the truth of the matter, in Ally's mind, was that Larry was lost to her forever and as long as he was with somebody else a future together seemed highly unlikely.

"Me and Larry, we grew up together, lived on the same street kind of like a second family," Sarah began, reminiscing on her childhood, they were best friends. "We played together, promised we would be there for one another."

"But what has that got to do with the two of you getting married?" Ally asked softly, so far it sounded like it was a dream come true for Larry and Sarah, and that hurt her even more.

Sarah took in a deep breath, this was going to be difficult not only for Ally to hear but for Sarah to say. It opened up the doors to a lot of memories. "I was the reason why Larry left to come to Detroit, it was me, I called him," Sarah sighed, but Ally was inimpressed she had at least gathered that already without Sarah telling her. "So what was so important for Larry to drop everything, in the middle of a case and leave?" Ally had to know and it felt like Sarah was purposefully diverting from the point and Ally wanted to make sure the point was made as soon as possible.

"Because his best friend died!" Sarah suddenly blurted out.

"His best friend?" Now Ally's curiosity was caught.

"Yes, Heath Fledge."

"What?" Ally's eyes widened at Sarah's words, "And what has that got to do with you?"

"Heath was my husband!" Sarah let out, heartbreak in her voice, "Larry introduced the two of us together," she laughed softly as the memory replayed in her mind.

"Your husband?" Ally stammered, this was so much more confusing than she had originally anticipated - well nothing with Larry was without it's complications, his life was hardly simple. "But I thought.." She needed Sarah to explain the full story more than before and was not going to let it go uncompleted. "He died?"

Sarah nodded slowly, "yes," she breathed, a thin faint tear falling down her left cheek. "Would you mind telling me how?" Ally asked with sympathy, careful not to over step the mark. "He d-died in an explosion in Helmand Province...." Sarah answered before quickly turning quiet.

Ally had done it, "I just couldn't keep my mouth shut!" She thought to herself, kicking herself in her mind. The mark had been overstepped, she had to be careful with her questions, she should have been able to seeing as after all she was a lawyer! And man did she feel bad. Ally knew exactly what Sarah was going through, before she met Larry, there was a man called Billy, Ally's first love. Ally knew Billy since childhood and swore she would marry him one day until he married somebody else. Life had a way of them two meeting so many times and Ally could understand how Sarah must have been feeling because Billy died of a brain tumour. And Ally didn't think she could love again in fact it got to the point where Ally had forgotten how to love and be loved. "He was in the army?"