Eric Flashback

Congratulations, we're so proud of you.

I kept driving, increasing speed with every breath I took. I shifted into third gear as soon as I got on the highway, going way over the limit.

Let me see your trophy...oh Eric, you're my smart little man.

The adrenaline was all going to my legs as I parked my car and started running to the entrance.

He takes after me. How does icecream sound?

I pushed through and started running up the stairs. After 6 flights of climbing, I checked the bulletin with directions, desperately searching for him.

What are you going to do for the Regional Science Fair, son?

Dashing through the halls, following the ugly green carpet, I bust through the double doors. 

"H-hi, I'm Er--Eri....E---" I said out of breath "I'm Eric LaChappa. My dad...."

The receptionist understood and opened the back  door for me as I nodded and jogged to his room. There he was arched up, on the bed with IV almost empty. Bandages were specked across his face. 

Put your seat belt on Eric. The Dairy Mart might be across the street but that doesn't mean you get to cut corners.

"Is he okay?" I exclaimed.

The nurse looked softly at my father, then back at me.

"We finished surgery an hour ago but..." she started "but the doctor says there's very little chance for...him to wake up anytime soon."

My eyes widened. The whole world seemed to have frozen in time. My dad was in a vegetable state. I lost him.

"No...." 

"I'll get the doctor and give you some time alone."

She left the room and I slowly shifted towards my dad. To the side he had his belongings with him in the crash. His wallet with $30.86, his license, a photo of my mother and I, and his medicine.

"I lost mom and now...I'm going to lose you too?" I whimpered. "I can't..."

I closed my eyes, trying to hold back the tears. 

He's coming.

I looked up at my father. 

"Dad what did you say?"

Nothing. 

"Dad?"

I looked back at the door to make sure nobody was playing a trick on me.

He's coming back.

"What the hell?"

He's coming.

This isn't dad. Am I going crazy?

He's coming.

He's coming. 

He's coming. 

It kept repeating over and over and right before I let out a scream, I heard the doctor.

"How are you holdin' up, son?"

I turned around fast, wiping a tear from my eyes. 

"I'm...not doing so well, doc."

After what seemed like the longest, most complicated explanation about how my dad wasn't going to wake up. After sitting with him for a few hours, I decided to head home and leave. 

I don't want to ride in the car. Cars killed my mother, and now turned my father into a vegetable. 

I sat at the bus stop, wanting to go home so badly. Dad was going to grill burgers tonight. Everything happened in an instant. Am I really going to be on my own from now on?

Suddenly, a mother and her 8 year old boy  sat on the other side of the bench. 

"Are you excited for this summer?" she asked.

"Yes, mommy," he replied "Thank you for letting me go to camp!"

"We saved up for it, because you're our special little man," she said "Put on your hat now, it look's like it might rain soon."

The boy nodded and put on a mossy green cap, with a badge stitched on labeled 'Camp Packanack: Home Away from Home'. 

I looked down at my feet. Do I even want to go home? I don't have anything left here. Not anymore. 

The bus drove up and had an ad for Camp Packanack. 

'Looking for Counselors. Must be 18-35 years of age. Contact for more details to get free housing, utilities, food, and fun for the whole summer of 1984!'

Summer is 2 weeks away? Maybe I can apply. I don't want to go home. Not yet. I'm not ready. 

"Ma'am do you have a pen?" I asked the mother sitting next to me.

"Why, yes," she said, standing up.

She grabbed a pen, and I quickly wrote the camp's number on the palm of my hand. I handed the it back to her.

"Thanks!" I said. 

As they got on the bus, I began to walk down the sidewalk. Maybe this camp would be a good way to blow off some steam and forget about this shit for a while.