Chapter 5: Summer Fun

((Vanessa POV))

Annnnnnd....TIME!

I clicked the stopwatch and looked down at the blinking 2:07. 

Damn, that's a record.

I pulled out the map and scratched out my previous time with 2:07.  Running to the road and back took my breath away, so I headed to the mess hall to get some more water.

I opened the door and saw Deborah cleaning dishes.

"Hey," she said. "You look like you just ran a marathon."

"Something like that," I smiled. "What are you doing?"

"Came in here to get some fruit, but everyone decided to leave their plates from breakfast out for mice to get."

I plopped myself onto the counter and slid to the other side. I grabbed an empty glass and filled it with tap water and gulped it down within seconds. 

"Let me help." I grabbed a rag and wiped down the inside of my glass and put it back in the cabinet.

"No, it's really okay, there's not much left." 

"Girl, please, it looks like a hurricane came through here. You did enough, I'll take it from here," I insisted.

"Really it's okay."

"I know it is," I replied. "But I'm relieving you anyways."

She gave me a smile before walking over and giving me a slight, awkward hug.

"Hold on," I said. "What's the basket for?"

"Oh, well I was gathering the fruit because Eric and I were going to have a little picnic at the dock," she explained. "We want to do a story nights where we can read the kids a chapter each night."

"That's a great idea," I said. "You're so clever."

She crossed her legs and swayed back and forth, blushing.

"Lil' ol me?" she laughed.

"You're also a dork." I laughed back. "Go on, don't let me stop you."

She took her basket and skipped out the door. 

Okay, time to see how fast I can wash these dishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Deborah's POV))

"Eric!" I shouted.

He was sitting at the dock, in a Hawaiian button up shirt, kicking the water like a toddler. He turned around and I could see his pupils dilate from up the hill. He waved me over to come join him.

I walked over and sat down next to him on the Spiderman themed towel he brought.

"Nice towel." I teased.

"It's uhh....my brothers?"

"I'm kidding! I like Spiderman too."

He gave a deep sigh of relief. 

"How'd you sleep?" he asked.

"Better than I would've with Fox. I can't believe Mr. Jarvis even let her on property."

"Guess he thinks we need a bad cop here in case the kids act up."

"She's the opposite of an officer. I wouldn't be surprised if she grew up in prison."

Before he could respond, we got startled by some screaming coming from the lake.

"Wow, they got close pretty fast." Eric observed.

Adam was down the side of the lake, laughing as AJ splashed him with water.  Adam then ran back, the ran right off the dock, landing in a cannonball. The two started getting in a splash war.

"I called it." I joked.

"The edgy guy and the rebel?" he joked back.

"Haha, okay, shut up." 

He looked a little hurt.

"I'm kidding!!! Oh my gosh, Eric."

"Sorry..."

"Why? Hard to find a sensitive guy nowadays." I flirted.

Woah, what is up with me? I don't act flirty. Am I mimicking AJ and Adam? 

"Thanks."

"For sure," I said. "You just need to be a little bit more confident. It'll make a difference."

He was trying to say something, but didn't know what he wanted to say.

"So...about these reading nights," I started off.

"Right! I was thinking...."

And off we went, suggesting book after book.