16

Virgil's Pov

"It's official! New Years is the worst time of year!" Roman cried, walking into the common area.

"Have you finally realised the dismal and hopelessness of this holiday we put so much hope into?" I asked, looking up from my phone as the Prince royally face planted onto the couch across from me.

"No" He moaned, muffled by the pillow he was wailing into too.

"Damn, I really thought I was getting through to you" I teased.

In the past month or so not a lot has really changed.  Dyllon is still a depressing child, Carter is minding his own business and staying out of my way, Patton and Logan are as sickeningly and adorably in love as usual and Roman... Well, Roman's just been... Roman, without the cruelty.

It's been difficult getting used to seeing this new, kind side to him but it's a pleasant change of pace from the rude complaints I've been so used to until recently.

"You don't understand! I'm so alone!" He cried, still muffled into the pillow.

"C'mon Princey, don't be dramatic. You are not alone! You have me, Patton, Logan and even Carter" I rolled my eyes at the Prince's dramatics

"That's not what I mean!" He sighed, sitting up finally on the couch

"Then what do you mean?" I asked, putting my phone down on the table

He went silent for a moment, looking down at his lap.

"Idohvarmtcprtrtiyr" He mumbled some incoherent nonsense.

"You're gonna have to speak up Princey" I sighed

"I don't have a romantic partner this year..." He said, eyes still down

"Oh..." That was not what I was expecting that.

"Every year I've had someone special to enter the new year with but this year... I'm alone and I don't know how to deal with that..." He whispered, his voice cracking slightly by the end.

"Oh Roman, you don't need someone to enter the new year with," I say, sitting down next to him on the couch.

"And it doesn't mean there's something wrong with you" I pat his back slightly, unsure of how to deal with a sad Prince.

"But what if it does, something has to have changed this year" He cried, burying his face in his arms.

"Tell me, what has happened to all these relationships then?" 

"They ended..."

"So maybe this is a good thing! You've matured and realised that you don't need another person to define you because Roman, you don't need another person to define you" He lifted his head up to look at me, faint tear tracks on his cheeks but he smiled.

"I never thought about it that way..." He whispered

"You're Prince Roman for god's sake! You're enough all on your own!"

"You're getting pretty wise you know" He chuckled

"Well, I've learnt from the best" I smiled, patting him on the back before standing up.

"Now get up, wash your face and go slay a dragon or whatever it is Prince's do"

~~~

"You're not doing enough!" 

"I'm trying my best!"