Onto the ground - Chapter 18

Hayley's POV

My mom was doing my head in. Every disappointing glance, comment and general being-there was threatening to make the little vein on my forehead explode. I was finally released from her 'motherly love', when she had gone to instead yell at everyone else in our family. I loved my mom but jeez, when she was upset everyone knew she was.

Sighing, I climbed up the steps to Lacy's apartment building. She had never been one for dorms, I being too small and according to her "too little freedom". As I made it to the final steps, my eyebrows scrunched together as the image of Mason walking towards the stairs.

"Hey" I frowned, grabbing hold of his arm.

"O Hayley. Hi" he said, his cheeks actually flooding with red.

"What were you... why were you at Lace's?"

"Went for a jog. We met halfway" he said, "I have to go, alright?" he grumbled, his face morphing into a blank sheet. He moved past me, me only more confused. I moved towards her apartment, rapping on the door before my friend opened the door.

"Hey" she grinned, combing her slightly wetted hair from the jog with her fingers.

"Lacy, you never jog?" I frowned as I came into her apartment.

"How'd you know I went for a run?"

"Mason" I responded, looking around her flat. She had redecorated, the small lilac and sky blue cushions sprayed all over the grey couches and on the walls were pictures of us, all of it having been made to be in shades of lilac and blue. It was quite beautiful.

"O' well, I thought I'd start. Goodness knows after all our escape plans, I need to get more fit"

"With Mason?" I asked, scrunching my eyebrows together.

"Hayley, what's wrong?" she sighed, moving towards her kitchen, "Because you seem edgy"

"My mom came in this morning" I admitted, trying not to groan in frustration. Lacy's eyebrows raised and she let out an "o" before moving over to hug me.

"How'd she react?"

"She yelled at Liam and then continued to yell at me after he left. And I can understand where she's coming from, I mean... I am her youngest and well, I'm going against everything I was taught but just... uuuggghh" I let out a frustrated growl, watching as my friend gave me a faint smile.

"When did she yell at Liam?"

"After we came from Admin" I said, biting my lip.

"O sweetie, are you okay after that?"

"Yeah fine, we actually came up with another plan. Well, Liam did. I'm going to do an internet course. He did all this research and it's actually amazing" I said, not helping but smile.

"That's great hun" Lacy grinned, me feeling better already, "Guess things are better between the two of you?"

I nodded, "Hopefully it doesn't get messed up"

XXX

Hayley's POV

You know that moment when you think everything is good in your life? Even though your parents are disappointed in you (whose isn't?) the rest of your existence is pretty great? Like your baby is healthy, your friends are amazing, your future isn't ruined and your child's dad isn't a huge ass anymore?

Yeah – that moment never bloody lasts.

And that was all thanks to stupid, asshole, pricky Liam Taylor. Well, actually Liam, Mason and Chris. But mainly Liam.