18 | making headway

c h a p t e r | 18
MAKING HEADWAY
'Is it the STD? The small testicle thing.'
__________

"I'M READY!" A happy Noah peeped up, just as the door swung open before Tessa had the chance to knock.

"Noah, really. Go put your iPad away. Penguins don't play Candy Crush," Hale spoke in a duh tone, and placed a hand on his brother's head, turning him around. Noah quickly sped off to hide away the iPad that was previously tugged firmly under his arm.

"Penguins?" Tessa uttered stupefied, and Hale halted, inches away from walking straight into her, a lopsided smile evident on his face. As his gaze wandered over hers m, the playfulness was replaced by a more somber look. Clearly, both of them vividly recalled their last talk.

"Um, look Tessa." He scratched the back of his head rather uncomfortably, which was amusing to Tessa since his once so confident gaze kept flickering.

"Hi Tessa, you coming with us to the Zoo?!" Noah showed up again almost jumping with excitement and Tessa furrowed her brows.

"The Zoo?" She repeated, trying to contain her confusion and glanced at Hale, who hid his face in his hands in realization.

"Shit."

"Do you love penguins? I love penguins. Don't you think they walk funny? Oh, and have you ever seen a lion? Or a Tiger? And not on TV, but the real thing. They are freaking huge! I bet they could swallow you in one go, don't you think?" Noah prattled, his bouncing more evident the more he talked and Tessa couldn't help a smile of endearment.

"Did you remember to close the window in your room?" Hale suddenly interrupted Noah's rendition of how true he thought The Lion King was.

"I did," Noah waved him off, "You think we're gonna see Simba? Anyways, I really wanna see Pumba. I've never seen a Pumba before, have you?" He asked Tessa, completely ignoring his exasperated and uncomfortable brother.

"Go check it again."

"But I—"

"Check it again," he persisted this time more firmly and Noah let out an annoyed sigh, but nevertheless hurried to do as told, giving the two another minute.

"I promised him a trip to the zoo..." Hale admitted, his eyes still flickering slightly in discomfort. Tessa stayed silent just looking at him in astonishment.

He actually listened.

"I totally forgot the fitting was today... I just... Will you stop looking at me like that?" His jaw tensed even more as Tessa's features cracked into an entertained grin by Hale's uneasy and peevish demeanor.

"Look, I'll postpone it, okay? I'll just go tell Noah—"

"No, I'll handle it," Tessa quickly brushed him off and walked past him, "I just can't believe you actually listened." She tried containing the grin that eagerly tried to take residence on her features. Obviously, she failed as Hale still seemed to struggle.

"I just thought—... You know with everything..."

Tessa bit firmly down on her lip to prevent herself from prodding him. Instead, she enjoyed the slight tinge that seemed stretched over his cheekbones.

"It's closed! I triple checked. Now, are you happy?" Noah huffed, his chin pushed forward in defiance of possibly being shooed away again, and Hale shoot Tessa a cautious look.

"You go have fun, I'll call Parker," Tessa smiled, wriggling her phone, thoroughly amused by how Hale seemed to visibly exhale in relief. This was definitely a way more entertaining Hale than the overly confident one.