23 | speedy recovery

c h a p t e r | 23
SPEEDY RECOVERY
'Vroom vroom Westbrook, you're already in my rearview mirror.'
__________

"NO PARKER YOU PROMISED. I'm done with this," Tessa immediately shot him down and an annoyed expression flitted over her features.

"All I said was maybe you should take the day off, not that—"

"Nu-uuh," she strongly protested turning in her seat, "Quit it!" she yelled at him and raised her hand, making him shift uncomfortably closer to the window while still trying to concentrate on the road.

"Fine, but all I'm saying is that you've done well for yourself, so scre— OW!" He swatted at her, when she left a mean punch to his shoulder, and continued to get in punches at him. "I'm driving!"

"I swear to god, I'm gonna shove you out in the middle rush hour if you as much as speak another word of it," Tessa glowered with a flinty stare and nudged his head, before retrieving back into her seat.

"I swear to god, you've spent far too much time with Indy," Parker rubbed his shoulder in attempt to soothe the numbing pain. "It's not my fault—"

"Parker," she growled warningly, and Parker shot her a sideways glance.

"Well, if you weren't so busy with your provoked pms'ing you might have noticed we've left traffic, so I'll take my chances," he smirked and pulled into the designated driveway, blind to Tessa's concealed scorn.

The minute the car slowed Tessa pried the door open, jumping out and Parker rolled his eyes, before leaning over the seat, "Look, it's not my fault, you know, so stop letting your anger out at me."

Her nose crinkled in irritation as she turned around and crossed her arms protectively over her chest. Parker seeing her posture, crooked a brow at her, causing her to let out a terse breath.

Clearly, she knew Parker was not to blame for her having the worst day of her entire life. The stupid article, John's celebratory baboon dance, and Hale suddenly sprouting a conscience were just too much for her to handle, which meant that her panic transforming into frustration bordering on anger really wasn't anyone's fault but hers. He was just in the line of fire.

"Parker," Tessa sighed and squeezed the top of her nose for a second to collect herself.

"Sure, you don't need the day off?" Parker asked softly, watching his friend trying not to pop a circuit. "We can go for non-burnt pancakes."

"I didn't burn the pancakes," she retorted and his lips cracked in a happy grin.

"The fire alarm says otherwise," he sang and Tessa's smacked her lips together.

"Come on, I think Hale can handle dressing himself for a day," he coaxed and leaned over to open the car door for her again.

"You have a plane to catch, Park," she argued pointing to the suitcase in the backseat, which she had neatly organized.

"I'm sure they have pancakes in Italy, granted not as good as here, but I still bet my money on them being better than yours."

Even though she wanted nothing more than to skip town for a while, she knew John would have her ass, and the more she thought of it she was more convinced of Hale just changing tactics to get what he wanted.

At least that was her reasoning. Something about her being angry with Hale made her feel better, and gave her a small spark of hope that everything would get back to normal.

"Park," she sighed and Parker nodded in understanding, briefly looking out the windshield before looking back at her.

"I get it, just, promise you'll call if anything?"