*13* - A Tougher Nut to Crack

"She's a ball of fire, that one," Tony comments

We're all in the surveillance room, and Genevieve is occupying my former windowless room. She's pouty on the cot. She had a lot of choice words to say to the camera once she realized it was there and that we could hear her.

So far, no one has engaged her since we brought her back to the Tower.

"She's not going to talk easily," I tell the group.

"You didn't, either," Natasha reminds me.

"It's because my judgment was off."

"Way off."

I roll my eyes. "I'm guessing I'm being volunteered for interrogation duty? I won't be much help since she sees me as an enemy now."

"I'll go with you, I want some blood samples just to make sure we know what we're dealing with," Tony says.

"Didn't think to do that when she was knocked out? Surely you could get past the drug in her system."

"If things get hairy, we'll get you backup," Steve comments.

I nod before leaving with Tony to Genevieve's cell. A fast breeze nearly sends us both on the floor. That's Pietro running loose again in the Tower. Instead of going to Gen's cell right away, we make a pit stop at the lab. I cringe at the memories.

"Doesn't seem so bad on the other side huh, snowflake?" Tony says casually as he meanders around. I remain by the door, eager to leave.

"It's grown on me," I say carefully.

"The place creeps you out, doesn't it?"

I cross my arms uncomfortably.

Tony pokes around a table. "If truth serum were a thing, I'd be giving it to her. I don't know why Romanoff thinks that we'll get anything from the cloner. If she's drunk off the Hydra Kool-Aid we might as well not bother."

"We need to try, you guys did with me."

"She looks like a tougher nut to crack than you were."

"Gee, thanks."

Once Tony arms himself with a needle, we leave the lab and make way for Genevieve's cell. I know she won't be happy to see either of us, me especially. I mean, I switched sides on her. On Hydra. On my family. I'm just glad Dad isn't in the cell. I wouldn't mind as much if Mother was. She was the one behind me being poked, prodded, and nearly dying, after all.

Gen picks herself up into a sitting position when Tony and I arrive. She rolls her tongue around in her mouth, and she looks downright miserable.