*20* - Night Walk

The New York night is beautiful, and I find myself looking up at the sky more than anything

The New York night is beautiful, and I find myself looking up at the sky more than anything. Which leads to Pietro having to guide me so I don't run into people or oncoming traffic.

"Are you this way with shiny objects too?" he teases me.

I smack him upside the head. "Stars are pretty. Besides, I'm just getting reintroduced to the night sky again. You remember that feeling of disconnect from the world, Pietro, don't you? Where all you knew were four walls, tests, and strangers who felt like handlers?"

This makes him uncomfortable, he's tense against me. My arm is looped through his.

"I don't like to look back on the past, Rory," he says in a strained voice. "It distracts from the now. Besides, my past didn't hold you, or the friends I have. It held me being on the wrong side of history, on the side of...evil."

"You didn't know." I didn't either. Stupid. "Sometimes the things we think we're doing are good when really they're the opposite."

"That's basically the motto of Hydra."

I chuckle. "You're not wrong. What made you wanna do this, Speedy?"

"We don't really get alone time, not for long anyway. I wanted it to be just us. You know, kind of get to know each other a bit more outside of the tower."

"What do you want to know?"

"Favorite color?"

"I'll give you one guess."

"So help me if it is white..."

I laugh. "No, it's not white. Yeah, snow's pretty, but white isn't my color. Well, that's a lie, it used to be. My preference changes. Now I'm more about the burnt, sunset orange kind of color."

"So specific," he teases.

"I'm guessing your favorite color is blue?"

"What?" He looks almost offended by my assumption.

"Well, I see you wear a lot of it." I shrug. "Kind of thought that was it."

"Sorry to prove you wrong," he says firmly. "It is actually green."

"Green?" I repeat. "Talk about generic."

"You have your preference, I have mine."

"Come on, it was never blue at one time? I find it hard to believe that it was never in your mind."

"...So what if it was at some point?"

"Ha!" I boast. "Your preference changes, too."

"Why did yours change?"

"Back when I first found out my powers, I liked the beauty of snow. Of the color white. You know, meaning purity and all of that." My face falls. "It lost meaning when I went through what I did. For a while, I didn't have a favorite color. Not until I saw the sunset after being freed from captivity." I cast a side glance. "What about you? Why green?"