*24* - Infiltration

The plan became very clear when we landed

The plan became very clear when we landed. When the ramp was lowered and we all filed out of our cloaked jet, I realized where we were.

Our group became smaller groups, Mother had thought this all out prior to our leaving. She, Genevieve, and I were to infiltrate while the others provided the necessary distractions to allow us access into the building.

Gen and I have our masks off for the time being, so as to not look too suspicious. We hang back while Mother waits for some sort of signal. I flex both hands, feeling the adrenaline starting to race through my blood. This is a very risky plan, once I figured it out. Even when Mother tried to explain we had the advantages, I was still wary.

But I have to trust her on this. She wouldn't have carried this out unless she didn't think we could pull it off.

"I didn't realize this required so much waiting," Gen says in boredom. "Just let me hop the damn fence now. I can produce clones a plenty. How come you won't let me?"

"I need my best in with me when we do this," Mother says to her, still waiting for her signal. "I'm not about to go in one woman down all because you were bored and decided to be stupid."

"Nick wasn't an option?" I ask bitingly.

Mother turns to me, frowning. "He may be strong, but unless security has powers like we do, I saw no reason to put him in. Besides, he can help the others distract from the outside."

Gunfire rings out, and Mother beams. I assume that's our signal to get our asses moving.

As we step out to cross the street, Gen and I place our masks back on our faces. I freeze any oncoming traffic to ensure we don't get hit. I cringe at hearing how close the gunfire sounds, but Mother doesn't flinch. She crosses the street with authority, almost expecting the gates to open by the time we reach them.

But that's not how it's going to work.

Any cameras we see, I ice them over. Putting both hands on the bars of the gates, I channel my energy and watch as the iron bars begin to freeze. I hear the ice crinkle and crack, and watch as the entire gate becomes one of ice.

"Remarkable," Mother whispers fondly.

I close my eyes, feeling my power grow. Overhead, I can feel the temperature drop in D.C. I can feel the cloud cover rolling in. Soon enough, I'll create a blizzard. It might be a calling card for the Avengers to come save the President and all her security, but who's to say that's not what we want?

When the bitter winds pick up and heavy snowfall hits my body, I open my eyes. I turn to Mother and Gen. Gen looks a little startled—mostly because she probably sees that my eyes are purely black now, no white to be seen. Mother can only look at me in pride.