*16* - Free Range

Though my mind is reeling from the shots I took last night, it's still active and thinking

Though my mind is reeling from the shots I took last night, it's still active and thinking. Mainly about Pietro. From enemies to...allies? I'm not sure that's exactly what we are, but there's nothing else to coin what this supposedly is.

I give up trying to actively stay asleep in my bed, so I wander in the wee hours of the morning, as the sun is rising, through the Avengers Tower. I find the kitchen and brew some coffee while fighting the slight headache coming on. I go through the cabinets to find a winter-themed mug that catches my eye.

I sit in the kitchen by myself in silence. If last night is any indication, things are different with us. We...like each other. We're beyond friends, even though we barely know each other.

I sip on the hot brew in front of me, in thought.

My hair has remained in the plait from Halloween last night, I haven't bothered to undo it. I did at least have the motivation to jump out of my Elsa costume into a baggy shirt and cotton shorts. I dip my finger into the coffee and slowly cool off the drink. It gets colder, and colder, until I produce small ice cubes in it. I smile. Oh, the wonders of being me.

A fast breeze kicks into the kitchen, and I know it's Pietro. He stops, bouncing off the kitchen counter when he realizes that he's not the only one in the room. I snicker, watching in amusement. A furious blush colors his cheeks.

"Well, good morning, sunshine," I tease him. "Took you by surprise, huh?"

"I try to get here first, you know, to get the best breakfast before everyone else. We don't always sit down to big feasts." He nods to the mug. "Coffee?"

"Iced, actually. Made it myself."

He snorts. "Of course you did."

"It beats having to pay for Starbucks." I shrug. "How are you so springy? You downed shots last night too."

"I recover faster than most."

"Hey, about last night..." I clear my throat. "If I said some things that...weirded you out..."

"Like what?"

"Well, we went a little deep last night, Pietro." His eyes perk up at hearing me say his name. "I wasn't blackout drunk, so I remember. And the things that I said...I meant."

"I meant what I said, too, the other night," he admits sheepishly. "I was kind of hoping you would not remember."

"Why? Did you think I'd hold it over your head if I did?" I abandon my iced coffee and approach him timidly. "There's something about us. I can't figure out what it is, but it's something."

"I think you and I both know what it is, Rory."

"Mm, you might be right on that." I take his face in my hands and plant a big kiss on his mouth. His hands cover mine, and I almost think he wants to push me away, but his hands remain where they are. They feel warm against my skin. "You had to see that coming."