*26* - "Avenger Hotel"

I don't get a very welcoming sight when I wake up

For one thing, I'm stuck with an IV in my arm. Another, Genevieve is at my bedside.

Though, she's not in attack mode; she's casually flipping through a magazine in the chair at my bedside.

What kind of sick dream is this? Or maybe I died and this is Hell.

The magazine top tips downwards, exposing the dark brown pits of her eyes. I stiffen but not from fear. I want to make her an ice sculpture. The shock has clearly worn off, because all I can taste on my tongue is revenge.

I begin to try and wrestle my way out of the hospital bed, but Genevieve springs right up and holds me down, grunting, her magazine abandoned.

"Don't bother, Rory," she tells me.

"Get off me! Help!"

"Chill out, you're safe."

"Really? Then how come you're here?!" I try and fight her.

"You're too weak to do anything," she huffs. "Stop wasting our time."

"I can still ice you." I grimace deeply.

"Not if you're on some heavy meds."

I groan, pushing my head back into the pillow.

"At least you're not afraid of me." Genevieve backs off, finding her chair again. Her eyes never leave me. "There was the chance that we thought you'd scream your head off once you saw me."

"'We'?"

"Things have happened while you were sleeping it off, Rory."

I glare at her. "You don't have the right to call me that. You stabbed me."

"How do you feel?"

"Like you care. But, if you're so curious to know, I want to stab you. It's only fair."

"Some thought about that too, including myself." She smirks dryly. "A bunch of people owe me money."

"You placed bets on my reaction? How nice." I shake my head. "What's with this?" I gesture to her.

"What, my caring? My lack of wanting to continue my murder spree on your pals? After your boyfriend swept you away to save you, I got my ass handed to me by Wanda Maximoff. Apparently your mother put a little voodoo in my brain to make me all psychotic and on her side, like she did with you, and the others."

So I was right. How long was she Hydra loyal under Mother's influence? "She can't have done that with all of them. Some had to have been outright loyal from the start, no 'persuasion' needed. What broke it?"