More Visitors

I pull my mask up again once we're safely in the air. I always saw her as a mother figure. And yet Valka kicked me out and ordered me to never return. Why? I had no clue Hiccup was her son and all I did was follow procedure!

I hug Skyvolt tightly, my braided black hair standing on end from the static she produced. She rawks sympathetically to me, nuzzling my cheek. "Thanks, girl," I say quietly. "Let's just go back home. I'm ready to see the others. Maybe even Alpine."

She nods and adjusts her course very slightly to make sure we make it in good time. I look down to the vast ocean far below us and gaze at our reflections. Skyvolt's dark blue-black scales seem to glow like a Flightmare as the waves below sparkle and shimmer.

It puts me at peace until I see the small telltale droplets of extra water start to fall and cause ripples in the sea.

That's when I realise I'm crying. I've never fought with Valka before, at least not like that. We've had arguments before, but it never got to the point where she started to shout and scream and threaten me. I know she must be very protective of Hiccup and I completely understand and respect that, but it still hurts.

I let the tears fall silently into the deep blue abyss churning steadily below me, absorbing them and claiming them as their own with only soft, faint ripples to betray their existence. There's no point in keeping tears at bay when there's nobody around to see them and you've got the time to do so.

Soon enough we arrive home. Despite their blindness I wave to the Sentinels, who are on patrol as usual. Ore raises her stony head slightly and her older brothers do the same with their tails. I smile slightly beneath my mask and clutch Skyvolt a little tighter as she descends.

We swoop towards the main entrance and fly in, passing by several members of the pack. Stylive, Harmony, Screech, Lovelei, Camo, Mercury, Gordon, Flashwing, China, Shadow, Nightshade, Freezegleam, Volcana... I could go on and on about all my partners.

But right now, I need to see one dragon in particular.

Skyvolt drops me off near his cavern, not wanting to get too close to him. It's not out of fear, simply respect for his sleep and privacy. Usually I'm the only one who dares to enter without being summoned, unless it's an emergency of course.

I step inside and immediately shiver at the sudden shift in temperature. It's always freezing cold in here, just how he likes it. I make my way onto the usual icy ledge while he surfaces, sensing my presence.

The Bewilderbeast looks to me, his enormous eyes capturing my every move like those of a hawk. "Alpine," I greet him, lowering my head respectfully. He makes a soft snuffling noise and I look back up again.

His intelligent eyes hold concern. He already knows something's up. I sigh slightly and pet his snout, to which he rumbles in approval. "Valka refuses to let me see her again," I breathe out quietly.

I can sense his shock, but he laces it with sympathy and nuzzles me gently. "It was because of the visitor we had two weeks ago with the Night Fury partner," I explain. "He's her son. When she found out I tampered with his memories, she threatened me and threw me out. Told me to never come back."

He let out a growl. Surprisingly enough, he's just as protective of me as the other dragons are, despite being the Alpha. As crazy as it might sound, Alpine is a sort of father figure to me. I know he's an Alpha and a dragon, but he acts like the father I never had.

I continue to pet his snout, mostly for comfort, but also because he always seems to enjoy it. I love my rare moments with Alpine. It brings me comfort like nothing else can. Though I also feel the waves of power radiating from him as though I'm a dragon myself. It makes me remember that he is no ordinary dragon and that he's the leader around here. I'm just here to help.

Suddenly Alpine froze, his eyes clouding over slightly. It honestly creeped me out a little when he spoke telepathically to the pack. Through their bond, the Alpha had this unique ability. I could only dream... or have nightmares, I honestly don't know how I feel about this thing.

Alpine suddenly emitted a loud growl, scaring me. I took a few steps back on instinct, but not enough to miss the swing of his head that brought one of his tusks to slam into my chest, knocking the wind out of me. I clung on for dear life when I realised I had been carried off by it.

Alpine quickly noticed my situation and seized from thrashing around like a wild beast chained in captivity, setting me down gently. I crumpled up on the ice, clutching my gut in pain.

Alpine inspected me worriedly, then his eyes turned to slits. He was using his Alpha abilities on one of the dragons. The first to arrive was Stylive, then I was greeted with the pleasure of two other dragons, though these ones were carrying concerned riders.

Hiccup and Astrid were too focused on the Bewilderbeast to notice me. Alpine roared furiously to them while Stylive picked me up with her tail and took me out of there, keeping me hidden from the sight of the intruders.

Once we were out of the cavern Stylive places me down and her pupils returned to their usual size to show the command of her Alpha had been carried out and they were happy to release her for it. Upon actually seeing what state I was in, she rawked worriedly, nuzzling me.

"Alpine is strong," I mutter. "Just give me a minute and I'll deal with the intruders. Let Alpine know this."