Hunter Attack

We went flying after our little training session. Stylive and I swooped after Selene and Asher, who were obviously both in their dragon forms, as well as Melanite. Asher was performing tricks in the air, so us two decided to show off as well.

Stylive started with basic barrel rolls, then fanned out her wings and glided upwards. Once we got high enough for our liking, I stood up and walked along her back until I reached the tip of her tail. With a swift turn, I backflipped off of her.

"Fetch!" I call out to her as I near the ocean below us. The wind rushes past me and beats at by braided black hair. When I peek upwards, Stylive has already almost caught up to me. She must be getting faster.

I move into my position to be caught by her back, which happens with success this time around. The moment I touch down I duck my head and press a certain spot where her head and neck meet.

She fired a single spine from her tail right over my head and then lit it on fire with her magnesium flame. The flaming arrow left a trail of smoke behind it as it burnt to a crisp in the air, harmlessly turning into nothingness.

Selene and Asher were looking at us in surprise. "Hey Asher, how's that for showing off?" I question innocently, causing him to laugh and bat me with his tail. I slide down to Stylive's underbelly to prevent him from doing it again, chuckling at his expression.

My new position gives me the chance to spot dragon hunter ships sailing below us. Luckily we're in the clouds so they can't spot us. "Stay up here and don't come out from the clouds until I say it's safe," I say in a serious tone to my supposed family, moving onto Stylive's back again.

Without another word, Stylive and I dip down. "Let's get them, girl," I murmur, eyes narrowing at the small fleet. I can easily take out the ones on the sides and if Stylive is silent and stealthy enough then we can work our way around them all without even being spotted.

Stylive glides quietly next to a ship, tail spines snapped out and ready to fire at will. I peek over the top of the ship and spot three hunters talking to each other. That's all there is above deck.

I wordlessly inform Stylive about the situation and she responds accordingly, sending her spines through their throats from a close enough range to kill them off swiftly, leaving no time to alert others with their screams.

We move on to the next ship and repeat the same tactics, taking out every ship on the outer side of the fleet. There's only one ship in the centre of them all, it must be the one hosting the leader of this little joke of a trade.

Stylive takes out the visible hunters and drops me onto the deck. We start walking inside the water vessel, looking around cautiously. The others better still be where they are because otherwise I'd hate to think what could be happening to them.

I move towards the door that has dragon cries coming from it and open the door a crack, peeking inside. When I see no hunters Stylive and I move in to be greeted by a group of Morphwings all huddled together in a cage. They all growl when they see me.

I move closer, my head lowered. "I'm going to bust you out. Keep growling if you want, but please hold back from attacking. I've got my own pack to defend and I can't do that if you kill me."

They sniff at me cautiously and then calm down, possibly sensing that I'm one of them. "Thank you," I say quietly before leaning down to look at the lock of the cage.

I slide my hair pin from my braid. It's an unnecessary addition aesthetics wise, but I still keep it around when it could help to pick locks. Stylive keeps guard of the door of the room, ready to deliver an instant kill to any hunters that enter, while I work.

It takes a short while before the cage is unlocked and I carefully open it, allowing the Morphwings to go free. They all morph into human forms. "Follow me and keep silent," I order them before they have the chance to speak over me. Stylive and I start moving out with them on our tails... well, Stylive's tail.

Three hunters bringing three chained Morphwings with them spot us and grab their weapons, glaring at us all, but before they get too far Stylive kills two of them with her tail spines. The third is left to me and I slice into his neck, decapitating him. I kick the bodies and the head away before the youngest new arrival sees them.

"I told you three to wait where it was safe," I hiss to Selene and Asher while I pick up poor Melanite, who is trembling and bawling. "And leave you to get killed?" Selene snaps back, she and her son morphing into human form. I put a finger to my lips to warn her to keep the noise down. "Yet you're the ones who came here in chains and I'm the one who took out all the other ships."

I start to let Melanite, who is nuzzling into me in fear, as I check for more hunters. "It's clear," I say to everyone. "Keep silent and stay close."

"Why should we listen to you?" Someone pipes up, though they stay quiet. "Because if we're in human form we'll be safer and frankly I'm the only one who seems to have a sword," I reply. "Besides, this is my job. Once we're out I'm going to check the other ships, you guys get above the clouds where they can't track or follow you."

I get no more protests as I lead everyone out onto the deck again.